ONE

Passing through the people on the street while trying to open the umbrella, Amara stumbled now and then. She somehow managed to open it and save herself from getting completely drenched. Thanks to her little brother who forced her to carry one. Even though, where she was heading to right now, was not so far from her flat but still, she would rather carry this burden umbrella than getting her clothes soaked. Also, she won't be allowed to enter the building while water is dripping from her body. They will dirty the polished marble and she too hates mess.

Amara was now sitting at her favourite spot beside the window. She feels lucky to have such a beautiful place near her flat. With her laptop open in front of her, on the dark brown wooden table, and a pen between her teeth which has to suffer the pressure she was giving by crushing it's end, she was looking outside the now foggy glass window trying to come up with some beautiful lines for the poem she was currently working on.

***

"I am going to stay at my friend's place next weekend." Amara's little brother Jeremy, said to her when they were having dinner.

"That's nice. You should have made this plan ages ago. You have been torturing yourself from past one month. No break at all. Go have fun with your friends.
Anyways, which friend's are you staying at? Jordan?

"Not Jordan. He is out of town. I am staying at Cody's. We have school project to complete and tests are coming up too. Damn! We have a lot to do."

"Okay. You can take my car; I won't need it this weekend."

He was grinning like a fool now. Amara knows how much he loves her car. She has been saving money to buy him one as his birthday gift this year. He doesn't know about it, he is going to go crazy when she would hand him the keys.

Amara and Jeremy live in a flat, away from their home in a different city. They moved out when Amara got a job. Even though Jeremy could have completed his high school at home but, still he wanted to be with his big sister, saying 'who would protect her if she lives alone?'

Sending Amara away was already hard for their parents and Jeremy following the same made it more difficult for them. But, Jeremy is Jeremy. His stubborn self can't lose against anyone.

Money has never been a problem to them. Amara wanted to pay for her little brother's education as she herself is now financially stable, but her mom and dad didn't agree to it. Still Jeremy helps with the money that he earns from his part-time job at a garage. He has a very keen interest in cars. She and their parents didn't stop him from his part-time job because he not only loves working there but also learns a lot. There was only one condition for him though, that he won't overwork and will not let it affect his studies, to which he agreed.

***

Amara was reading the lines of the poem again that she wrote last week. She is still not satisfied. Her brain has stopped working. She needs motivation. Her writing skill is going down, and she knows that. She lets out a tired sigh and starts walking around the library.

Amara didn't realize she was at the front row now. Her spot is at the corner end of the library, as she prefers to stay hidden. She likes being alone. Talking with people, being surrounded by a bunch of them scares her, a lot. She is only comfortable with her brother, her one, and only friend Noah and that's because they have been together since they were born. Noah and Jeremy, they both know how uncomfortable she feels around people, especially men. They intimidate her a lot. She would rather prefer to be wrapped in her comfortable blanket with a cup of hot chocolate and a book than being in someone's company.