CHAPTER 9

Josh waited outside Katie's house by his car to take her to school. Katie noticed that he looked just as miserable as he had the night before. Not that she blamed him. If her dream was even a fraction of what really happened, she was surprised he was upright at all. He smiled, but it was obviously forced. She knew the unhappiness wasn't directed at her, and she couldn't fight the desire to make him feel better. She wrapped her arm around his neck and squeezed him gently, placing a kiss on his cheek. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close, resting his forehead on her shoulder. Katie closed her eyes.

"Hi." Katie's mom's voice broke the calm of the moment. "You must be Josh."

Katie pulled away quickly, her eyes wide. Her mom stood with her hand out to Josh, ready to shake his, and she gave Katie a quick, angry glance. Josh took her hand and smiled warmly.

"I am. It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Barrett."

Katie's mom pulled her hand back and wiped them on the back of her pants. "I can't understand why it took so long." Again, her gaze darted to Katie.

Katie didn't know how to respond. She kicked herself mentally for not getting into the car immediately so they could leave. All her mom knew about Josh was what Randy had told him, and that was that Josh was a criminal. She wasn't supposed to be hanging out with him, but there he was in front of the house. Katie wasn't surprised her mom was upset. She could only imagine how pissed she would be if she knew what Josh really was, where he had taken Katie, and that they were harvesting souls.

"That's my fault." Josh placed his hand on his chest. "I'm not always comfortable around parents."

Mom pressed her lips into a line and looked at him sternly. "If you're going to see my daughter, that's going to change. And it will start with dinner with you and your parents."

Katie tensed. Why did her mom have to be such a mom? Katie was well aware that she was just trying to keep her safe, but Katie could handle this on her own. She had to. It would be so much easier if she could continue sneaking around behind her back. It was a terrible thing to do, but it kept everyone safe—sort of. Katie was sure it kept her mother safer than if she had direct contact with him. On top of all of that, Josh didn't have parents! Who in Hell would he get to show up for dinner? Katie tried to catch Josh's eyes and signal him to deny her request, but he wouldn't look at her. He only smiled wider.

"Unfortunately, it's just my dad and I, but we would love to join you for dinner. Let me talk to him and find out what his schedule looks like. I'll let you know."

Her mom nodded curtly. "I would appreciate that." She turned to head back into the house, stopping to kiss Katie on the head. "Have a good day at school." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "You and I will talk later." She stepped into the house.

Katie wasn't looking forward to that talk. She could only imagine that it would be one-sided and involve more yelling on her mom's side than talking. Which was totally unfair! Again, her mother knew nothing about Josh except what Randy said, and those were lies. Why didn't she trust Katie enough to make good decisions? She could take care of herself. And, apparently, she had to take care of and protect her mom. And of course Josh would be more than happy to go to dinner, it would secure his place in her life even more. Normally, that wouldn't bother Katie, but the last time Josh had contact with her mom, he threatened to kill her. It was another thing for Katie to decide to be involved with Josh, and that meant she got to draw boundaries.

Katie kept her anger in check until she and Josh were in the car and halfway down the street. Then, she turned to him and looked at him through narrowed eyes.

"What was that about?"

Confusion covered Josh's face. "What was what about?"

Katie huffed. "Why would you take my mom up on her offer of dinner?"