CHAPTER 4

"Get away from her!" Deb's voice cut through the mourning in a shrill tone. She stomped toward Josh and Katie and pushed them apart. She narrowed her eyes and stared at Josh. "Don't think I won't let everyone here know exactly what you are."

Wow! Where had that come from? Katie glanced at Deb, startled by her friend's outburst. Deb was usually so conscious of how she looked in public. Of course, Katie had told her Josh was a demon and her emotions were running on high. If it had been Katie and Deb had told her that, she would have been upset too. It was probably a good thing Deb didn't know the other stuff Josh had done.

Several of their classmates turned to see what was going on. This wasn't the first time a fight had broken out on the beach. The other one had involved Josh too. Katie hoped this one didn't end with Deb and Josh beating the hell out of each other.

The right side of Josh's mouth pulled upward in a grin. Katie's stomach fluttered. What was Deb doing? Was she insane, going after a demon in front of everyone? She didn't know what he was capable of. Katie took a step forward to intervene. She wanted to pull Deb away before she could do or say anything else stupid. Katie wasn't exactly sure how Josh would retaliate, but from personal experience, Katie knew it wouldn't be good. Someone—Deb—was bound to get hurt. Before she could reach them, Josh threw his arms out to his sides. Black waves erupted from his hands and flowed out to surround the crowd. Katie felt the thump against her chest that stopped her breath for a second. She placed her hand on her ribs and sucked in air. Fear coursed through her, and the desperation to reach Deb grew deeper. Again, she went to step forward, and then she noticed that the other students around her were moving in slow motion. Only she, Deb, and Josh could move at regular speed.

The anger that had been on Deb's face was replaced with confusion. She stared at her surroundings, her mouth dropping open slightly. "Wha–? How?"

Josh grabbed her face with one hand and forced her gaze on him. "And just what exactly do you plan on telling all these fine kids?"

Deb's eyes opened wide and rounded. Her limbs tensed as she prepared to struggle. The look on her face told Katie that her friend was having second thoughts about what she was doing, but it was too late to back down now. Her legs tensed as she readied to leap forward, but she found herself unable to move. Visions of Josh sitting on Wes's chest the first time they met in the warehouse ran through her mind. She remembered how Josh's finger had turned into a blade and sliced Wes's midsection. She didn't want to see that happen to Deb. Hell, at the time, she hadn't wanted to see it happen to Wes. But Wes could at least defend himself and fight back. He knew what to expect from a demon. Deb was helpless, and Katie obviously was unable to assist her friend even though she wanted to. What was up with that?

Josh leaned closer. "Do you really think they are going to believe you?"

"I'll make them believe me." Deb's voice shook with fear. She set her jaw and narrowed her eyes. At least she was trying to look tough.

Josh laughed. "You hardly believe it yourself. Even with the proof right in front of your face, you doubt what your eyes see. I see into your soul, Deb. I see the turmoil, the desire to convince yourself something else is going on. Do yourself a favor, let yourself go. Fall completely into agnosticism and let the rest of us do what we need to do." He let her face go.

"I won't let you hurt my friend." The words came out as a whisper.

Again, Josh laughed. "Katie can make her own decisions. Your loyalty and devotion is commendable, but it is human and flawed. Perhaps you should focus your energies on a battle you can actually win."

Katie felt relief wash over her as Josh released Deb, but she knew not to relax yet. Either one of them could lash out and the fight would be on. What did Josh mean that Deb should fight a battle she could win? Did he know something Katie didn't? Or was he just throwing phrases out? Katie couldn't worry about it at the moment. She needed to keep her focus on those two and hopefully step in if she needed to.