Chapter 24

{A month later}
"Eli! Hurry up." I was running down the street, Eli holding onto my hand.

"I'm trying woman! My legs are much shorter than yours." He struggled.

I sighed, squatting down and picking him up in my arms, rushing across the street

I turned left, rushing into the building and pressing the elevator button.

"Hurry. Hurry. Hurry." I tapped my foot anxiously.

"I think it'd be faster to take the stairs." Eli mumbled.

"I'm not taking the stairs, we live on the fifth floo-" I paused once I noticed Eli pointing to an out of order sign above the elevator. I groaned, walking over towards the stairway and pushing the door open. I began hopping up the steps with Eli in my arms, already out of breath.

"Since when can you read?" I asked him, breathing heavily.

"Im almost six." Eli said in a matter of fact.

"Oh right." I breathed. Eli is exceptionally smart for his age, always has been.

I finally appeared at our door, placing Eli down and rummaging through my pockets.

"Oh hello dear." A voice spoke from across the hall. I turned around and our neighbor, Mrs. Davis. She was an older woman, around sixties maybe even seventies but according to her she's still in good shape. My family has her over for dinner sometimes and she constantly tells my mom and I stories about her youth, the men she dated, the adventures she went on. Her life is interesting to say the least.

"Hello Mrs.Davis!" Eli waved enthusiastically.

"Hello Eli!" She waved back, "Why are you both in a rush?"

"Haley and I went to get mommy a present for Valentine's Day. It's only tomorrow you know." Eli said as a matter of fact. I was still trying to find my keys frantically, getting frustrated.

"We had to rush to get mommy her gift before she comes back from work in..." Eli paused, looking over at me, "How many more minutes? I can't read time." Eli asked.

"Three minutes." I answered without looking.

"Awe, what amazing kids. Your mom is truly blessed. If my kids were as young and caring as you both I'd be so happy." Mrs. Davis smiled.

I found the key, quickly opening the door and dragging Eli inside.

"Do you want a cup of tea, Mrs.Davis?" I asked.

"I would love one." She nodded, walking inside. I sighed in relief, closing the door behind her and unwrapping my scarf and placing it on the couch. Eli quickly took off his shoes, hurrying to the table as I set up.

"You have kids Mrs.Davis?" I asked from the kitchen, making the tea.

"Yes! Two of them. One of them is forty and the other...thirty seven...maybe." She laughed, "Old age makes you forget."

I walked over, placing the cups in front of Eli and Mrs.Davis before walking over and sitting down.

"That's the same age as my teacher back home." Eli said randomly. I smiled.

"Isn't this your home, little one?" Mrs.Davis tilted her head.

"I guess so." Eli tilted his head back.

"Have you always lived here?" I asked her curiously.

She spread out her arms, "Of course! New York is the place to be. Best place on earth if I say so myself. We have broadway, lights, Empire State Building. The place never sleeps."