Chapter one

Let me just say, I do not own any of these characters. They belong to J.K.Rowling. I am just a huge fan and after getting engrossed in a couple af Draco Malfoy fanfictions I just couldn't resist to write one. Hope you enjoy! Comment and Vote!

This first chapter's a little short. No worries, I can make up for it

Safrina x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another year at hogwarts. Finally a normal year. Hermione was sitting with Harry and Ron in a compartment on the hogwarts express. It seemed wierd for her looking out the window, knowing where she was heading. Last year they had been running around after horcruxes, not knowing where they would end up next. Luckily, they were allowed back to redo their last year of magical education, much to hermione's relief. How else would she manage to get a job in the ministry?

The three were quiet inside the compartment. Though many people stopped on the way down the corridor to peer inside at the Golden Trio. People would whisper things in their friends' ears, some would cheer and some of the younger students seemed to rush away when they noticed they were staring. Hermione hadn't minded at first but after a while it was starting to get annoying. She didn't blame them though. After all, they had destroyed the objects that made He Who Must Not Be Named immortal.

He who must not be named! Hermione! You can say his name now. He's gone. Voldemort, Voldemort, Voldemort! Hermione mentally slapped herself every time she didn't call the Dark Lord by his name. After all she had been through she wouldn't be afraid of a name. She was a Gryffindor, A brave young woman.

A snort coming from the opposite seat by the window awoke her from her thoughts. Ron had fallen asleep in their silence and his head was pressed against the glass, wobbling slightly. It had obviously disturbed his sleep. Hermione found herself looking at Ron and wondering what went wrong. Ever since Fred's death, he had shut her out. She understood he was grieving and thought it best they seperated. It was an easy split up and they were still friends but she was thankful Harry was around to talk to because things had got a bit awkward when Ron and herself were alone.

At this thought she turned to face Harry who was sat next to her. She was surprised to see he had been watching her and wondered just how long she'd been looking at Ron.

"You okay Hermione?" He asked quietly.

"I'm not sure, I mean yes. Well you know what I mean. That war changed people, Harry. And sometimes we just have to face the fact that two people can grow apart. I'm fine. Seriously." Hermione didn't know why she gave such a long answer. A simple 'yes' would have sufficed. She concluded that it must just be her way of convincing herself she wasn't being selfish.

Harry simply nodded and smiled a comforting smile at her. He then turned to the window and, like Ron rested his head against it. Hermione knew that he understood and would always be there for her. He was such a good friend.

Hermione turned back to face the door. Noboddy seemed to be walking around the corridor now. They were well on their way to Hogwarts and she geussed everyone would have found a seat. She turned her head towards Harry and Ron once more before yawning and turning in her seat to find a comfortable position.

From the corner of her eye she thought she saw someone looking at her. She chose to ignore it as she was growing used to having eyes glued to her as she passed. Now she knew how Harry felt. It really was quite annoying. Turning slightly but refusing to look out the door she couldn't help but catch a glimpse of a lean but muscular young man. She turned as if to look at him but he dissapeared down the corridor before she got a proper look. The only thing she saw was a flash of silvery blonde hair. Draco Malfoy. But why would he be looking at her? Probably trying to think of an insult he could throw at her for becoming head girl. Know it all and Bookworm came to mind. Deciding to ignore the situation, she turned in her seat and slept for the rest of the journey.

Finally, they had arrived, the students in their last year and the ones who had returned all seemed to sigh at the realisation that this would be the last time they stood on the platform at the beggining of a year. Hagrid was rounding up the first years and the carriages were waiting for the others to take them to the castle. Hermione stopped to look at the magnificent creature that was pulling the cart. Thestrals were truely beautiful in their own right. After a few seconds she hopped up into the carriage behing Harry and Ron and they made their way to the castle in a slightly awkward silence.

At the main entrance, Professor McGonagall beckoned Hermione to come over to her. She was quite grateful to get away from the silence that hung around Ron. He didn't seem at all chatty these days. "I'll see you guys in a bit." She smiled.

Hurriedly, Hermione made her way across to the new headmaster of Hogwarts and smiled a welcome to her.

"Hermione. Just before you enter for the feast, I'd like to tell you I am very proud to have you in my house. You really are very bright and very brave. A true Gryffindor." Hermione tried to hold back a blush. The professor continued, her smile fading, "On a more serious note, I would like a word with you after the feast. As head girl there is a few things you need to know." And with that she walked away, dissapearing into the Great Hall where almost the rest of the school were already sat.