Single Gain, Tripple Loss

Lovisa and John Neumbo sat on the hospital bed beside their daughter. All eyes were on Whitecoat, as he nervously fiddled with the results papers. Tuna relaxed her limbs, praying for Whitecoat to just get it over and done with.

"Great. I believe everyone is ready now", Whitecoat went, looking at everyone to confirm. Were they ready? I wouldn't say they were, especially for Mee Lovisa, whose eyes were growing misty and her hands were trembling as they held Tuna's arms. Tuna could feel them shake, but she acted like her mom was just playing a shaking game.

"Well, we have done several tests on Ms. Neumbo: three blood tests, a pregnancy test and-", Whitecoat began, before Tate John cut in,"The pregnancy test wasn't necessary. We trust our daughter, you could've asked us". "I'm sorry Mr. Neumbo but at her age we have to prove whether or not she's expecting, so that we know what medication we can prescribe for her and what we cannot. It also helps with the diagnosis process", Explained Whitecoat collectedly. Tate John was getting furious. How dared a silly doctor think their daughter was pregnant. How dared he question her innocence? He was about to attack Whitecoat again when Mee Lovisa intervened, "Very well Dr, you may proceed. Honey, he's done as he judged was right. He was just doing his job".

Mee Lovisa's intervention helped, as Tate John nodded and kept the rest of his complaint to himself. The strength of Eve. Upon a 'clear' nod from Mee Lovisa, Whitecoat continued, "So, as I was saying, we have also done several other tests. All the other tests came out negative, except one". Silence. Deafening silence. "Ms. Neumbo has a rather serious lack of oxygen in her blood. This is many a times due to prolonged lack of sleep. We suggest that She rests more and do more exercise. We are positive things will change if she does as we advised". Relief. Relief so immense you could see the muscles in the occupants of the room relaxing. Damn Whitecoat, what prevented him from just saying that when he entered the room? Tuna questioned, but inside.

Mee Lovisa shook hands with Whitecoat as he exited the room. Tate John clasped his hands, signalling to whitecoat that he was not in the mood to show any kindness. Cutie the nurse told the family to pack up as Tuna has been discharged. As she led Tuna to her parents car in the car park, she waited until the big Neumbo's were out of earshot and said, "That guy, the classmate, he is a nice person. Maybe you should be nicer to him. Also, if you ever are in doubt, and that's about anything at all, it always helps to follow your heart". Was Cutie the nurse trying to counsel her? Tuna wondered. Because Tuna would rather she did her job and took care of the patients, not the emotionally confused. And Pendah a nice person? In what sense? She definitely was not thinking what she's thinking, was she? Well, Tuna Neumbo, hear no evil, see no evil. She advised herself.

After all her medications were given to her, Tuna and her family drove home. Her phone was also given back to her ultimately. Tuna's mother was so relived that her daughter did not have a serous condition. She already made plans in her head upon how she was going to make her daughter sleep more. She will study less and watch less Netflix. Yes, for or against her will.

Tate John, on the other hand was almost breaking the steering wheel apart as he drove. He was cursing inside and imagining a punch flying into the face of that stupid doctor. He needed to learn whose daughters to suspect as pregnant. What was he trying to say about him and his wife's parenting?

Tuna could see from the side of her eye the anger in her father's eyes. She's used to it. The man has a temper. He is especially overprotective over her, and he can lose it so badly if anyone even made a joke about her. It made sense though, given that Tuna is their only child. "It's okay papa. That uncalled for test he did on your daughter didn't do anything to her. Now smile or I'll faint again", Tuna blackmailed. "So now you too are siding that crook of a doctor huh? Somebody talk some sense into these people", a disappointed Tate John exclaimed. "You are still not smiling Papa. okay, I will faint seriously. Right now, right here", Tuna blackmailed further, giving a mischievous smile. "Honey the child just got out of a hospital. We are supposed to be rejoicing here and all joyous. Please don't ruin the moment with some unnecessary pride", Mee Lovisa intervened, rather concernedly. Tate John clearly had no way out of this situation. Smiling, he went, "Whatever". "There you have it my boy!", exclaimed Tuna, laughing loudly. In an instant everyone joined. Happiness filled the Neumbos' Ford Ranger the rest of the way, with jokes landing one after the other.