Chapter 1

Beautiful pink dawn dazzled our souls as we boarded. Unknown faces passed by me, revealing in their eyes the same passion that this strange dawn awakened in me. The beautiful golden sun emerged from the pink waters while the still dark sky exhibited the curious stars that remained inert, watching the beginning of a new adventure.

"Mom, why is the sky pink?" Asked a boy. He had copper hair that rested on his shoulders and blue eyes that stood out with his hair color.

"Today is a special day, my love; a pink dawn is a good omen," she explained, caressing his face with the tips of her fingers.

The charming scene stirred my feelings, increasing the anguish in my heart. I continued walking across the deck, seeking to ignore the thoughts. I sat as far away from the rest of the passengers as I could, looking for a corner where I could enjoy the trip in peace. The sun was already high in the sky when they announced that we would set sail. After a few seconds, the ship shuddered with a roar like thunder and began to move away from the dock leaving behind everything I wished to forget. The wind blew slowly on the ship's surface, and the sky got covered with a gray blanket that announced the rain that was to come. A pleasant silence surrounded the boat, amplifying the noise of the water hitting the walls of the ship. The calm allowed me to appreciate the landscape without thinking of anything other than the greenery that moved slowly at the rhythm of the wind, leaving all memories behind as we sailed towards our destination. About two hours had passed when they announced the first stop in Zelenia, a city north of Erena, famous for its trade and diversity. It was said to be the center of Helengar's trade. A tempting offer, I always dreamed of selling my mother's sculptures in a market like this.

Leaning against the railings, he could watch the city as the passengers disembarked. The view was incredible; I was amazed to see how the market stretched from the pier to disappear on the horizon as if it had no end. People from all parts of Helengar could be distinguished, not to mention the almost infinite variety of merchandise ranging from fruits, clothing, animals, weapons, among many other things. I always heard my mother say that if she needed anything, she could get in Zelenia. It is an exciting place that I do not lose hope of visiting.

All the passengers got off, and we continued our course upstream. A refreshing breeze blew as we drove away. The sound of the water currents hitting the boat and the gentle breeze helped me relax until, little by little, my consciousness was moving away and the sound of the ship slowly transformed into a silence that disarmed my senses until I finally fell asleep. I woke up confused in my mother's house surrounded by flames. I could hear my mother's screams for help in the distance. I started kicking the wooden walls trying to escape the heat of the fire so I could help her. The burning smoke made my eyes blur, and my throat went dry, making me cough. Finally, I managed to knock down the wall, falling to my knees in front of the entrance to the house while watching in the blurred distance my mother being dragged by the guards of the imperial army. I woke up with a jump feeling the touch and voice of one of the crews who kept asking me if I was all right. He looked tired, although he looked pretty young, perhaps about twenty-five at most. He had short brown hair and big brown eyes that indicated several nights of lost sleep.

"Where are you headed?" He asked with a confused look. "We have already passed Zelenia."

Confused by his question, I replied that I was going to Agvar, and he frowned; he was silent for a few seconds.

"Are you a resident of Agvar?"

"Not yet," I replied.

The man smiled and asked me about the residency papers.

"Eleazar," he said, reading the letters my mother had left me. Everything seems to be in order. Upon reaching the waterfall, the soldiers will check the papers, and you will enter.