Chapter 5

I was so exhausted that I didn't remember going to bed and finally was able to rest without the torment of some nightmare. Erena was a more peaceful place, but dear lord, I can't imagine my life without a bed like this one anymore. It was a promising day, so I hurried to get to the temple as early as possible. I sat on a worn wooden bench right in front of it. The temple was located almost in the center of the city, in a square adorned with huge trees with long vines that looked very ancient. In front of the temple was a fountain with five statues that caught my attention. The carving was perfect; whoever made them must have spent a lot of time and effort on the details. The faces looked so real; they seemed to look at me no matter where I stood.

"The Guardians," a voice behind me said.

I jumped, not expecting anyone to be around. I felt the hairs on my arms stand up when I saw Luciano's face in front of me.

"I'm sorry I scared you, I didn't mean to." My name is Luciano, "he said, extending his hand towards me.

I smiled, shaking his hand as I introduced myself.

"What did you said about the guards?"

"Those statues represent the guardians, and this the temple of light, home of the guardian of light and school for all the elementals that lived here," Luciano explained.

"What happened to them?"

"When the order fell, all guardians were hunted and killed, except for the guardian of light who disappeared, taking all the knowledge and power of the order. The temple was destroyed by the army of the empire shortly before the city became sealed and protected with the spell that separates Agvar from the rest of Helengar," he explained, catching my attention.

"It's a shame that so much history is lost," I commented.

"Thanks to your father and other collaborators, we have been able to recover an immense quantity of books and artifacts of the order, which the empire could not take when they destroyed the temple.

His words sounded encouraging, although again, all conversations began by talking about my father. It gave me the joy to know that I had a father who was very dear to everyone, but I could not feel the pride that everyone expected me to feel after all my father was a stranger to me.

"Luciano, what is an elemental?"

"It is a person born with the ability to communicate and manipulate an element. In the times of the order, this temple was full of people like that, training to become elemental masters, " he explained excitedly.

"But if there were elementals in Agvar, how come they no longer exist?"

"What makes you think they no longer exist?"

"What do you mean? Are there still elementals in Agvar?" I asked excitedly. If everything Luciano was saying was right, then my father must have discovered something, and that's why he got killed. This man knows a lot more than what he's telling me, and he may have the answers I needed.

"The elementals were not born thanks to the order; on the contrary, the order purpose was to group these people who are born with this elemental energy sensitivity. Hundreds of people in Agvar are likely born with elemental sensitivity. But fear has made them unable to feel it. So many people who are born with the skills never find out and even lose this ability."

"It is not possible for anyone not to feel something like that," I commented a little altered. I felt that Luciano was trying to deceive me.

"Energy flows silently through everything, and only in silence can it be perceived. And even so, some can perceive the energy and decide to ignore it for fear of what could happen or simply do not understand it as often happens with many."