Chapter 1

(A/N: This chapter will be filled with time skips, but the rest won't be so time-skip heavy.)

I rode in a wagon, barely containing my excitement as we neared the Training grounds of the Cadet Corps. On the 1st of January, 843, I'd left my home district of Shiganshina to join the Cadet Corps and pursue my dream of joining the Survey Corps. Now that I was almost there, my nerves were acting up, what if I didn't graduate? Would I be forced to be a farmer? I shook my head to clear it and focused. I would not fail. I would not get kicked out. And above all, I would join the Survey Corps!

~Time skip~

As I was standing in formation, watching Commander Matt (A/N: Shadis wasn't commander yet so I'm filling in with a rando.) grill the other cadets, I found their nervous stutters funny. They were falling over themselves to answer the Commander in a way that wouldn't incriminate them. Then he stepped up to me and roared, "WHAT'S YOUR NAME!?!" 

I just calmly stood there and answered, "Tamayo Sakai, sir." 

He seemed enraged by my response, "BULLSHIT. EVEN I COULD COME UP WITH A BETTER NAME FOR A MAGGOT LIKE YOU!!" 

I didn't respond and I could've sworn I saw his lips twitch as he moved on. I barely stopped myself from smirking, I had a feeling the commander and I would get along nicely.

~Time skip~

As the other cadets and I were being winched up in the 3DMG rig, I saw almost all of them lose balance instantly. I found that I had some sort of natural affinity for 3DMG and started swinging back and forth for fun. I saw the commander grin at me as I was lowered and he walked up to me, "I haven't seen someone take to the gear that quickly in years. You just passed the maneuver gear affinity test on your first attempt. Well done, Cadet." 

I nodded, "When will we start using it, Commander?" 

He chuckled, his green eyes filled with humor, "Just call me Matt, and soon." 

I nodded and he moved away to watch the other cadets. I watched his sandy blond hair disappear among the cadets and nodded to myself. I was already building a reputation with the commander and I had a feeling I would ace the 3DMG. Perhaps graduation wasn't as far-fetched as it seemed?

~Time skip~

I grinned as I tore into the slab of meat on my plate. Today was New Year's Eve, and tomorrow it'd be 844. I could barely believe a year had gone by so quickly! We were having meat for breakfast in celebration, 1 year of training down, 2 to go! I made sure I finished my portion of meat and ate little else, since Matt had hinted at a 1-year progress test after breakfast today. I'd built a friendly relationship with Matt over the past year, and it was paying off. After breakfast, Matt shouted us into formation and announced, "You've been here for 1 year now! I want to see how much you've learned and how much you've been faking! We're going to do a little test to see where you're all at! I hope you didn't eat too much this morning, because you might see your breakfast on the floor!"

I grinned and my friends, Jessica and Analise, glared at me, having pigged out at breakfast. Matt explained the contents of the test and I made notes in my head: 3DMG test, where we'd be going through the training forest and killing titan dummies. 1v1 hand to hand combat test, where we'd be paired up against opponents of similar skill levels. A general bushcraft test, where we'd be using our skills to light fires, set up a shelter, and be judged on how well we would've survived a few nights with the camp we'd created. A leadership test where we'd all be the leaders of groups and cycle leaders to find out who had the most potential. And last, but not least, a written history test. Luckily for me, I'd taken to life in the Cadet Corps like a duck to water, and I knew I'd ace every single test.