Chapter 3

It'd been 4 days since my squad appeared out of nowhere, and our compound was looking good. Since yesterday, Momo's been eating constantly and making various tools. Yesterday she also completed her quota by providing another 3 axes and a hand-cranked plank machine. Basically, there were adjustable saws plank thickness and width apart and the crank made the saws go back and forth, and the crank also powered the conveyor belt. I'd been up all night last night, making planks with the machine. The machine cut all the planks the same size, and the bark cutoffs were perfect for firewood. We'd cut down a good 30 trees before Momo even made the machine, so now we had a good supply for the planks. I yawned as I pushed the 9th tree trunk onto the conveyor belt and started cranking, seeing the stops on the belt catch the trunk and force it into the saws. It was about 7 am now, and my squad was just waking up. I watched Todoroki sit up and turn to me, a trace of shock in his face. He quietly got up and picked his way over to me, avoiding his sleeping classmates, and put his hands on mine, stopping me from turning the crank, "You're hurt, you shouldn't be working, let alone at night."

I sighed, "It was a full moon tonight, I had plenty of light, and Momo's been changing my bandages every day, the burns look heaps better already."

He sighed, "But they're still there, so let us do the work."

I nodded and followed him to the campfire. I stacked the firewood over dried leaves and pieces of paper and reached for my flint and steel. As I procured my flint and steel, I saw Todoroki nonchalantly light the paper on fire, "Todoroki, I thought I told you not to do that."

I kept my voice down, some of my squadmates were still sleeping, he responded equally as quietly, "You said I shouldn't use my quirk if it meant I got harmed, but if I only use it for a second, I don't get burned at all."

He showed me his hand and I sighed. I stood up and surveyed the camp. We had 21 bed-sized piles of leaves and foliage, covered with a sheet for hygiene, with one pillow and a thick blanket for everyone. My bed was untouched, I hadn't been in it last night, and the night before, we hadn't even had beds. As I looked over my sleeping squad, I noticed that Mineta was crawling towards Momo's bed. I walked up to him and hissed, "Unless you want to do 50 laps, leave her alone."

He gulped and headed back to the campfire. I stretched, today was Thursday, which meant delivery day for the HQ. Delivery day for the HQ meant there'd be milk! Only Kirishima, Kaminari, Todoroki, and Mineta were awake, so I got Kirishima, Kaminari, and Todoroki to come with me to HQ. I sighed as I remembered the last time I went to HQ, asking for uniforms or clothes, they told me they couldn't give me anything until I had somewhere secure to store it. Milk, however, should be fine, because we'd drink it all today. Most of it would go to Momo, though. She'd promised to produce enough mortar to fully weatherproof all of the buildings, so I reassured her that she needn't make everything, "Momo, I'm sure you won't need to make the mattresses, tables, chairs, and hay. We'll pretty much only need a steady supply of mortar, door hinges, and roof tiles."

She nodded, determined, "If I fail to do this, we might get kicked out, right?"

I hadn't known how to answer her, so I just nodded. Now I needed to make sure she could keep functioning while she was operating as the backbone of our compound. My little milk retrieving group followed me to the HQ, and I let them follow me while I entered the kitchen, "Hi guys, you wouldn't be able to spare 20kgs of dairy products, would you?"

Surprisingly enough, the cooks nodded, overjoyed, "No-one's been drinking the milk anymore and we were just about to pour it away! You can take all of it, and some cheese!" We ended up being given almost 70 liters of milk and 10kgs of cheese, which was a surprising amount. As my group went ahead with the milk, I picked up the two 5kg cheese gourds and trailed after them. When we got back with our dairy products, I saw Levi standing by the campfire and my entire squad awake and listening to him. We set down the milk and cheese and I waited for Levi to finish his sentence, then said, "Todoroki! We're going to need a makeshift fridge for the milk and cheese!"