Chapter 6

I was back in the training camp a few days after the expedition finished, we'd failed our mission, and I'd needed a few days to compose myself before I could face my squad again. My squad was in the middle of sparring, with Todoroki sitting out. I watched Dabi block a kick from Ojiro, then tap him on the neck, "If I was using my quirk, you'd be dead." 

Ojiro grunted, then noticed me watching them, "It's Tamayo!" 

Everyone stopped sparring immediately and turned to me. I walked out and shouted, "I didn't say you could stop! None of you are good enough yet! Keep going!" 

My squad reluctantly paired up again, and since I was the 22nd person, I got to spar with Todoroki. I analyzed his stance, it had gotten much better since I left, but it was still too defensive. One of his feet was too far back, already prepared to brace for a blow. I decided to make him strike first and just waited, watching Todoroki get increasingly frustrated. After a few minutes, he gave in and lunged at me. His hands were too low, he was too used to using his quirk by now, so his hands wouldn't be able to come up fast enough to defend his face, chest, and neck. I stepped into his leap, swinging my fist back, and waiting for him to get in the perfect spot. Once he was there, my fist lanced out, smashing into the upper half of his sternum. I'd aimed there on purpose, simply wanting to knock the wind out of him and teach him to keep his hands higher. 

He flew back, clutching his sternum with shock in his eyes. He landed on his back a few meters away from me, gasping for breath. I relaxed my stance and walked over to him, helping him up, "Your hands are too low. You aren't able to guard your face, chest, and neck in time to block a punch, let alone a sword. You're still too used to having used your quirk already and from your terrible stance and hand placement alone, I can safely say: If that had been a test, you would've failed." 

He coughed, "You've gotten stronger and faster, did I even have a chance in that fight?" 

I shook my head, fully aware of my emotionless face, "I haven't gotten stronger or faster in the slightest, all I've done is to decide not to go easy on you guys anymore. And to answer your question, none of you ever stood a chance against me in a real right." 

He scrutinized my face and I cursed myself for not taking more time off. Right now, the only way I could hide my sadness and pain was to have a completely emotionless, neutral face. It was all or nothing, and I'd decided a blank face would be better than an emotional wreck. Todoroki finished his scrutiny and sighed, "What happened on the expedition? We all know it ended days ago, so why didn't you come right back?" 

Shit, this was bad. I was suddenly very aware that the sparring had stopped again, and my squad was crowding around me with concerned faces. I hated having to resort to it, but in this case, I had to, "I'm just disappointed in how badly you're all doing! I've been training you for almost 3 months now, and what have I got to show for it!?! A few horrible stances, barely existent defenses, no force behind your punches whatsoever, your kicks are so bad they aren't even worth using, and all of you are still fighting like you would in your goddamned Hero course! I'm disappointed to all hell by everyone's astounding lack of progress!" 

I hated lashing out, especially at my friends, but I didn't know any other way to get them off my back about the expedition. They were all stunned into silence and I stalked off, "Dabi, come with me, wouldn't want uneven numbers for sparring, would we now?!?" 

My squad was completely silent, so I snapped, "When I ask a question, you'll reply with Yes Ma'am or No Ma'am! Is that clear!?!" 

A chorus of 'Yes Ma'ams broke the silence and apparently, their stupor as well. Midoriya helped Todoroki over to a bench and talked to him. I made sure Dabi was still following me and then headed back to my room in the dorm unit. I let Dabi in, then locked the door behind us and closed the curtains. Dabi was, needless to say, quite confused, "Uhh, Tamayo, why are we here? Is this a confession?"