The Typhoon Haiyan

“The Typhoon Haiyan”

It has been almost a year since the typhoon Haiyan hit Borongan Eastern Sammar. It was a horrible day if you ask me. I remember the day before the typhoon hit Borongan, my mother went to Tacloban to see a friend of hers who’s celebrating a birthday. Knowing that the storm will not be a serious threat to all of us, thus many calamity like this hit our place and we can manage it easily. It’s almost dark that day, we received a call from my mother. She said that she won’t be able to catch the bus because all bus stations cancelled the trip. My father who is a jeepney driver wants to go and fetch my mother, for he’s so worried about her being stranded in Tacloban with no relatives to go to. He left me with my uncle and grandfather. Its 2:00 AM in the morning when we’ve been woke up by the howling of the wind and rain, our roof that has being flown away for hours, got completely destroyed. My grandpa quickly guided us to the third floor because the water was getting higher. I hugged my grandfather so tight like I’ve never hugged someone before. I was so scared.

Every minute the storm just got stronger. Now that the roof is gone, we’ve got wet with it. I see other people climbing up on their roofs to avoid the flood. I don’t want to worry anything about that time anymore, but there was this scenario that caught my attention. There was a little boy who was holding on to a tree, he was trying to reach his mother’s hand and he tried to get her up with him on that tree. By the time he and his mother tried to move on to the roof that is close to them, the boy let his mother jump first before him. She landed safely, but when the boy tried to follow his mother a strong impact of wind suddenly came and threw the boy in to the flood. I was horrified of what I have seen. I shut my eyes closed and tried to sleep. But I just can’t.

It’s already 6:00 AM in the morning but I can’t still see the sun. My uncle grabbed the umbrella in the drawer but it was no use. The storm was just too strong.

When the storm finally stopped, we quickly went to the evacuation center. It is our school, we use it whenever the residences needs to evacuate during a storm or a calamity. The place was so full, we can’t barely fit in. Many family were in there that just needs to rest, but mostly, family that are searching for their love ones. We heard that the storm hit Tacloban too, and it’s even worse compared of what happened to us. Worried, my uncle quickly called father. Thanks to God, they are safe.

And now, we’re still not yet fully recovered from the typhoon Haiyan, another super typhoon entered the Philippines. Even though it is not strong as the Haiyan is, we need to be prepared for it. Hopefully, no one will get hurt, and I’ll wish that this time I will not see horrible things just like what happened to the boy who has been carried away by the flood, and that had never been found. Let us all hope. For hope is a new beginning…

Hope… creating places for new life to live on.