Dazzle Me

Malani lets the gold shimmery material of the dress wrap around her ankles.  Her painted red lips hold a fake smile as she concentrates on nodding, smiling and slowly sipping the champagne drink.  
  She has no idea what the lady in silver is talking about. Sounds like Stock in orange juice and sales in coffee bean,  Okay, maybe she does, but she can careless on how the elite make their money.
   Tyler keeps holding her hand like he's scared shes gonna runaway at the stroke of midnight, like Cinderella.   Maybe Cinderella ran because she never wanted to  be with the prince in the first place, maybe she felt like a shiny wrist watch dangling from the princes arm and all she wanted was an escape.
"Such a beautiful fiance you have," Tyler dear. The old woman brings out a hand to shake Malani's.  "The names Melissa, I've heard so much about you. How was school in Paris?"

"Lovely ", Malani answers.  

Here's the thing about the elite. They never question anything. Tyler says she went to school in Paris and that's where she's been the past few weeks then everyone just believes it. No questions asked.
 She knows she doesn't look like she has money. Not enough to fit in with the high and mighty of this crowd. She looks exotic though with her long brown braids swept up into a bun  and the gold chandelier earrings dangling like real diamonds. That's excuse enough. Men love arm candy, and the business men in this room know Tyler can care less how big her bank account is.

   The thought of  Oscar comes to mind and what he's going to think when he finds her gone. Hes going to think that shes run away again.  Just like all the times before .  But even worst  then thinking shes runaway, he's not going to chase her. He isn't going to stroll by in his red impala and rescue her. She's stuck here in this world of food and gems and fancy parties, until she sets herself free again. 

For now, She plays the part sipping champagne and holding  Tyler's hand.  She doesn't know why  he wants her here.   There are a dozen blonde haired and blue eyed  single beauties in the room.  She twist the engagement  ring around her finger. The diamonds sparkle under the white light.  It fits her snug like a tiny shackle, threatening to bind her to him for life. 

"If Tyler hadn't asked for my hand, I probably would have never returned,"  She fakes laughs.

"Oh I know,   life in the city can be addictive, before I met Ed here, I  was quite promiscuous." 

"Oh, I'd love to hear about it,"  Malani smiles. " Perhaps we should  take up space  near the bar and leave the men to their boring conversation on the export of coffee beans."

"Oh, your my kind of Woman, "  The older woman smiles.

Tyler gives her a look as she lets his hand go.  Its a promising threat.  Screw me,  and I'll make sure your name is dragged through the mud faster than quicksand. I'll make sure you never work anywhere ever again.  Stay, and you can live like a Queen.  Those were his words back in the apartment of Freeridge, while she silently hoped spooky would walk through the door.

  Funny, she wanted Spooky to save her, but only so she could leave. How come the Prince always wants to keep the Princess, and sometimes so does the dragon. 

"I want my father's money back," she'd said. 

She's never cared what these people thought of her , that's not what keeps her here.Its the promises of fixing the things he's  broken  begin with. 

"I'll give you what I said,  A lavish lifestyle.  A restaurant in the hills.  I just want you back."

She wondered if Tyler believed his own lies. If he actually  believed he would be the things he said he would be, do the the things he promised.