Chapter One

Scarlets POV

The sound of fireworks ripped through the air in deafening bangs, the strong smell of alcohol burned my nose, the sight of hundreds of dancing people intoxicated by the thrill of a New Years celebration, high on adrenaline.

2017 was coming to a close opening the door to a new year, new opportunities, new life...

Its a bunch of bullshit. Today is no different then yesterday, the changing of a year does not mean the changing of a life. Just because you make fake promises to yourself and your loved ones doesn't mean you'll keep to them or change. Thoughts like that give false hope and lead to crushed dreams.

I stood there staring out over the sea of people wondering why in the hell I agreed to come here. I had better things to be doing like studying or researching, even sleeping but I let my friends drag me here. Don't get me wrong I love them both and going to a party wasn't an issue it was the fact that they brought me to this party knowing that I had important things to be doing.

I looked up to see my best friends dancing their hearts out, downing their drinks like nobodies business. Enjoying the party completely forgetting I was here.

After a while of just standing here I decided that I had had enough. Putting my cup on a near by table I made sure I had everything before heading out. Walking inside the building and down the stairs heading to the front door. I waved goodbye to the lady at the desk, walking out of the double doors to the parking lot. I reached my black dodge truck unlocking it and hoping in. I started it and pulled my phone out sending a quick text to Melanie and Nick.

Me: "hey guys I'm leaving I have to head home and study. I'll see y'all later."

Pressing send I waited for a reply knowing I was about to get yelled at.

Melanie: " what! Omg you're no fun, you hardly ever come out anymore. Why don't you stay at least another hour."

Shaking my head at what she said I waited for Nick to say something.

Nick: "yeah stay, it's not even midnight yet. You're gonna miss the best part."

Me: "sorry guys no can do, I'm already leaving and I'm tired as it is. Maybe next year."

Melanie: " ugh you always say that come on please."

Me: "sorry Mel."

Sighing I turned off my phone pulling out of the parking lot to head back to my apartment. I felt bad about leaving them because I really haven't been going out with them as much as I used to. We used to go out every chance we got, now I find some reason not to.

I hate that I make them feel bad when I don't go but I just haven't felt like it. I have a lot going on and I have things I have to do. Things that I can't leave not done. I don't tell them the real reason that I don't want to go, just that I have to study. I hate lying but they would flip their shit if they found out that I was investigating my mother's death and my fathers disappearance.

A year after my mom died my dad disappeared, as if he had never existed. There's no record of him anywhere, he's been completely wiped from file. When my dad left the police said that he fled because he had killed my mother and couldn't take being here anymore. They closed the case immediately. Ever since then I've been secretly looking into it using any means necessary to get information. When my dad left I inherited everything including the house. I don't live in it, I can't stand to be there but I can't let it go either so I just make sure to not run up any bills. I have top notch security there to make sure no one steals anything. It's about five miles from my apartment.