Prolouge

"I hear His voice in the stillness of the night.
I feel His love like a blanket thick.
Warm and caring
Like the brightest sun
Like the coolest breeze
His love so tender so pure
So unassuming"
Of my time on this earth, I have learnt a few things. But the main thing is that you can't carry this life on your own. When I was nine, Asher and I used to ride our bikes to the quarry. It was about 3 km ride. We got down to it one day and by the water there was a man, shouting to the sky that he must be crazy for if he wasn't then he was as good as dead. Asher, leant over to me and he whispered that we needed to go. I didn't move, I just looked at the man. I knew for a fact I had never seen him before but I knew him. I didn't know him, but I knew him. There was something about what he was saying that I knew was true. I realised that the man was speaking about unspeakable things so even just standing here listening to him, I knew we could be convicted of treachery. But then the man pulled out a tattered old book. Instantly I knew what it was and who he was. It was a forbidden book. They used to call it a bible. He was one of the followers. We have been taught that the religions tore our world apart and that the only way that we can maintain a stable society is if we trust facts. I knew that it was a bad idea to lock away thousands of years of enlightenment and throw away the key. But this man started to preach to the sky and the rocks and the water. He said: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean'. My dear father, our race has become unclean. We wash our hands in hope it make us clean but we are only washing away you. Dear lord, reduce our race to dust before we do it ourselves. We have forsaken you and we cannot deny it. Take away our pride, dear lord. Take it out of the darkest corners of our hearts and replace it with wisdom. Hear our prayers and forgive us, dear lord. Forgive us. Forgive us"
He began to chant forgive us over and over again. Eventually Asher got me to leave but I kept coming down each day until I saw him again. I sat and listens to him each day, until eventually I summoned up the courage to talk to him.
I went down to him and he was shocked when he saw me. He pointed a stick at me and shouted "stay away." He seemed scared. He seemed almost inhumane except he wasn't. He seemed so pure. "Don't be scared." I said.
"I have been listening to you preach for the past few weeks, sir. I want to understand what you mean." He searched my eyes and I searched his.
"Dear girl, you shouldn't be here." He whispered. Then he turned and ran off down the quarry. I never saw him again. But he haunted me for the rest of my life.