Chapter 1

"Erin, just stop." Asher said to me, trying so hard not to get caught by talking out of turn. We were sitting in one of our classes and I was trying to explain to our teacher why I did not agree with how the government was treating what are called the 'scum' of our city. They live in public homes. This isn't public housing, this is where they go to a run down gazebo about the size of my bed and sleep there while trying to fight off insects carrying diseases like malaria. The government had just released a law saying that any scum, that attack a member of parliament will be sent to court and if found guilty, sent to life in prison. If this law was inflicted before, it would be sentenced to death but about a fifth of the city, 6 years ago protested and marched until that law was gone. But, back to what I was saying, if a member of parliament attacks or even kills scum, the worst they can get sentenced for is man slaughter. Which by so definition means 'accidental murder' or 'didn't intend to kill'
My family, are not scum. We aren't even close to anything that vaugely resembles scum. But we do everything to make sure they have equal rights.
I was saying to the teacher that their lives, physically both weigh the same. They are worth the same value, but apparently, a politician's life has more mental value. If you think this is bad you should hear this, if I were to attack a politician then I would only be appointed a tittle like "Erin of treason" and that would last for about a month because nobody addresses anyone like this.
"Miss, it is as corrupt law. The entire government is corrupt. How can they run the city if they a locking up anyone who trips over them?"
"Erin, that is enough." The teacher said.
Asher leant over and whispers again "just drop it."
"I'm not dropping it." I say.
"Erin, that is quite enough. See me after class." She turned back to the projector with her plaid skirt capturing the light. "Now, as I was saying, our government have kept us-" but I had stopped listening now. All I could think about is how they had earned the name scum.
When the class finally ended I stayed behind like the Escher had asked. "Erin, this is the third time this week that we have had conversations like these. You are a good girl. Why do you do it?" She asked. I had about 50 snappy comebacks right there, most of which would land me detention for a week. So I just stood there. I opened my mouth, no idea what I was going to say until I said it, "miss, I only do things and say things that are going to help others. I walk to this school with $60 for lunch. I'm not going to spend that much money on food from a school canteen. On my way to school I see people that could survive a month on $60. What do you expect me to do? To me, it's a reflex to help people." She just gave me a sad smile.
"Erin, that's what I feared. You aren't in trouble but we are going to have extra lessons after school, Erin. It's to talk about this." She indicated to me, meaning our conversation. "I'm normally in my office after school. Visit me whenever you are free. Excused." She said. I thanked her and left. I met Asher outside of class. He was talking to some of the kids in our electives. Before they could notice me I heard some whispers, then my name. I ventured toward them and the whispers stopped completely. 'Typical' I thought. 'Talk about me behind my back.' I decided to have a(semi)-positive attitude toward them. "hello," I said as merrily as I could. "What are you all discussing?" they all turned to stare at me.
"I see." I said. As selfless as I was, I wasn't the nicest or most popular with my peers. "So I guess you aren't going to be pilas to my face but you are more then happy to be behind my back." I stepped forward to knock one of them, I often got into fights like most schools. Swinging my arm back, I got ready to thrust my closed fist into a celtic named Amanda. As I began to swing Asher pushed my out of the way and held me back before I could attack anyone else.
"I know what you say about me." I yelled. Rumours have circles that float around and find there way to me. The worst thing, to my knowledge that I've been called is a (and I find it very hard to say this word, let alone use it on someone) fascist oppressive bastard. Which pretty much meant that I was the dick in dictator. I leapt again, out of Asher's arms but her caught me. The group hurried off and I heard one mutter something along the lines of "psycho bitch".
"Let's get you home," Asher said just as someone came running past and throw a fist at my face. See, one of the less popular. Blood spilt out of my nose and it was definitely time to go.

***
A/N
Hi, it is very likely that here are some mistakes in this but 'pilas' isn't one of them. I think it's gaelic for dicks. Of course, Erin is from Gaelic decedents. I know this is kind of boring at the moment but please keep reading. I'll try and get it finished soon.
Naomi.