3 | face the tension (pt. 1)

I pulled into the drive way of my old family home, feeling an instant sense of comfort and relief when I saw the garage door open and my dad's car parked inside

I pulled into the drive way of my old family home, feeling an instant sense of comfort and relief when I saw the garage door open and my dad's car parked inside. As I turned my car off, he walked out and stood under the lifted door for shade.

"Hi, Daddy."

"Hey, baby girl." He smiled. Every time I hugged my dad, I felt like a little girl all over again. I always felt safe when I hugged the man who's always vowed to be my protector from my first day of life. "How you doing?"

"I'm good, how are you, old man?"

"I ain't old, I'm alive." He smirked. "And I'm doing good."

"What are you doing today?" I asked him, locking my car. I followed him through the garage into the house.

"Well, I cut the grass today. And I had plans to just sit out in the yard and have a drink. I'm enjoyin my time off today."

"Yasss, you better." I laughed. "Enjoy that time off."

"Speakin of, what you got goin on today? And what brings you to my side of town? You need some money?"

"Dad, no." I laughed. "Not today at least." I mumbled. "I came to check on you before I headed to Tabi's."

"Oh ok, how is she doing?"

"Good. Her and Jay are in bliss after this engagement."

"Tell them I said 'congrats'. And get me some good seats to the games this upcoming season."

"Typical, Daddy, just typical." Falling onto the couch, I rested as I pulled my phone out to check if I had any messages or other notifications that needed to be checked. I instantly rolled my eyes when I saw an Instagram notification for Odell following me. I threw my phone down and looked over to my dad. He stood behind the couch, analyzing my face expression and body language.

"Who do I have to chop in the trachea now?"

I covered my mouth as I let out a loud laugh. "What, Daddy?"

"You over there rolling your eyes and lookin at your phone. Who made you do that?"

"Nobody important."

"Yep, I'll believe that as always." He shook his head, walking into the kitchen. I couldn't tell if he was disappointed that I didn't tell him, or if that was his way out of the conversation. I knew how to be open with dad. But over this past year, I was forcing myself to be too open.

My mom would've been the perfect person to have this conversation with. She knew the ins and outs of Odell and I's situation like her favorite book. My dad knew of it, but my dad is a fixer. If he can't fix it, or give advice, he doesn't feel he's useful. I love talking to him and being around him. But as of lately, he's been having too much pressure on himself to be more compassionate and understanding like Mommy.