▪Chapter Four▪

Visual of the De' Vou's estate above.

♥*♡+:。.。*✿  ✿*。.。:+♡*♥    

1879. Parnley, England.

"Hello?" Seraphina called out. She could hear her heart pounding in her ear, overwhelmed with both fear and curiosity.

She had left the ball about half an hour ago, sneaking out to admire the waters behind the De'Vou's estate. The water splashed softly against the platform as the moon's light reflected upon the surface of the water. The wind was gentle, caressing her face as she fought with her inner turmoil. She was still debating her actions when something snapped behind her. There was a small light which retreated at the speed of someone who was rushing to get away. Being the inquisitive person that she was, she trailed the light and stumbled upon a small tunnel.

The light was now brighter, almost blinding, but Seraphina continued forward. It felt like forever before she found herself in a small room; the source of the light stood in the very middle of the room. It was a ball that illuminated the entire room. She slowly wheeled forward, hands outstretched to touch and examine but to her surprise, the light penetrated right through her hands. She stared in amazement before finally coming into contact with the ball.

A sizzling heat seared through her arms, travelling up and into to her, consuming her entire body. She gasped, witnessing the transfer of the light along with the heat. A force slowly pulled her up from her wheelchair and into a standing position before lifting her into the air.

She now glowed, levitating mid-air, arms outstretched. The light continued to get brighter as it flowed through her body and exited through the openings of her eyes, nose and mouth.

It only took a matter of seconds before she vanished into thin air, no evidence of her presence left behind.

♥*♡+:。.。*✿  ✿*。.。:+♡*♥

New York City, N.Y. U.S.A.

He was late, something that had never happened before. Unlike the other days, today he was on foot. Not entirely a good option for someone who is short on time and lives in New York.

His fingers glide across the screen of his cell phone as he simultaneously rushed to type a text and take heed to his busy surroundings.

As soon as he was finished pocketing his cell phone, he looked down at his watch and quietly let out a string of curses. His older brother was going to have at him for being late, or in other words, irresponsible. Today was an important day for Avery; it was his day to prove that he was ready to be apart of the company. At approximately ten minutes ago, a meeting should have started where Avery would have scored a major deal with the Rullan's and corroborate the fact that he was responsible enough to have his share of work but the second his eyes opened for the day, fate decided that it just wasn't going to be Avery's day today.

As he got dressed, he realised that his dress shirt was crinkled and there weren't any maids available to tend to the matter. Twenty minutes later, he was dressed to impress, but five minutes later, he had to change his shirt once more as he had accidentally spilt coffee on himself. As he was already fifteen minutes behind his usual schedule, he decided to skip breakfast. After making sure he had all the materials necessary to execute today's presentation, he was ready to hit the road; his car felt otherwise. He slammed his hands against the steering wheel out of frustration before deciding to call a cab.

Thirty-five minutes later, he hopped out of the cab, two blocks away from his destination. With the traffic, it was faster to walk.

Glancing at his watch, he noted that he had five minutes left.

The pavements (sidewalk for Americans) were congested with hundreds of other people as they rushed to their destination.

Minutes after he had pocketed his phone, he caught sight of what appears to be a woman slumped against the walls of an alley before him. No one seemed to pay her any attention as they were either too busy with their cellular devices or too focused on their destination.

As he approached her, he called out to her. She made no movements, nor did she verbally respond. Once in front of her, he carefully knelt and observed. She appeared to be in a deep sleep, he knew so because of the rise and fall of her chest. Dressed in what Avery deciphered to be a ballgown, he noticed that her face held no trace of makeup and her lips quivered ever so often. As he took hold of her hands, he realised that her fingers were almost frozen cold. He called out to her a few more times, even tried gently tapping her on the cheek, but nothing worked.

He didn't know what to do, but he knew that he couldn't leave her here. A few more minutes of brainstorming, he decided that taking her to a nearby hospital would be a more sensible option. As he was already late and most likely going to be lectured by his brother, there was no harm in spending more time away from his office.