▪Chapter Two▪

1879. Parnley, England. Lennox's Estate

The two were so engaged in the novel as time slipped by. It wasn't until when the Mistress stopped by to check on their progress had they become aware of how little time they had left.

They giggled and played about as Seraphina was being strapped into her corsette while her hair got done and nails painted simultaneously. The Duchess had never before seen her older daughter behave this way with someone other than herself; the sight warmed her heart.

At six o'clock, Seraphina was dressed to put a princess to shame, as Sara mentioned. Seraphina didn't feel nearly as beautiful as her new friend had exaggerated her to be, but nevertheless, she smiled and accepted the kind words.

From the very minute of her arrival at the De'Vou's, she was pampered to the point of feeling smothered. Everywhere she went, there was the constant reminder that she was unusual; people would reach out to be of her assistance even when it was not needed. Though most of the guests were good at hiding their stares and keeping their talks low, she still felt the pity radiating off of them. Despite years of constant reoccurrence, Seraphina had never quite gotten used to the embarrassment.

Instead of mingling with the others, she had wheeled herself out to the balcony to enjoy the fresh air. She enjoyed hearing the faint music and merry laughter until another presence joined her.

She felt him before she heard him. His voice was rich and husky as he inquired about her isolation. She didn't turn to look at him but instead smiled, "Dancing isn't for the crippled, now is it?"

He was speechless for a few seconds before his reply came, "I'm sure anything is possible if the person is willing, m'lady." Slowly, she turned to look at him to find that he was already looking at her.

He was a very handsome gentleman, eyes as blue as the daytime skies and curls darker than the night. As well dressed as he was, his clothes did nothing to conceal his tall, well-built, muscular figure. The moonlight illuminated his appearance as he was shown to be like an angel.

He slowly stepped forward, right hand outstretched, "May I have the honour of dancing with you?" His smile was genuine and almost challenging.

Seraphina's eyebrows raised, "Dancing is not the best option for me as it usually requires legs. If you're unaware, mine are of no use to me."

The Earl's hand remained outstretched, "Allow me, would you?" After a moment of contemplation, she nodded out of curiosity.

His hand was rough, she noted, as he carefully pulled her to stand with him. He positioned her feet on top of his as she laced her hands behind his neck. His hold on her waist was supporting her from tumbling, and though she was practically falling upon him, he proceeded to waltz. As her head laid upon his chest, she smiled in content, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat.

"It's like Deja Vu," she thought. They danced like this when they were children. "It's practice for our wedding night," he used to say.

For the first time in a long time, Seraphina was blissfully happy. She hadn't been this close to a man, but instead of making her uneasy, he brought her a sense of security.

They made small talk every once in a while, but the silence among them was peaceful and preferred. Majority of the conversation consisted of filling the gaps on their lives from the last time they spoke - which was over five years ago.

He cherished the sound of her voice and laughter. She was beautiful to him, no matter her state. She had captured his attention the very first time he came into contact with her: he was five, accompanying his father to the estate of the Duke for business. Halfway through the discussion between his father and the Duke, a little girl came barrelling into the room, bringing sunshine with her presence. Instead of being scolded, her father had suggested taking the young earl into the gardens to play. Her tiny hands clasped around the wrists of the boy as she tugged him along and from that day on, they were inseparable. By the age of thirteen, he was sure that he had fallen in love.

As he held her in his arms, he couldn't help but picture them, in his entertainment room as husband and wife, dancing as they were doing right now. He enjoyed the feel of her, pressed against him and he wouldn't mind dancing with her for the rest of his life.

As he was about to make another comment, they were joined by the Duchess who, to say the very least, was shocked at the scene before her.

"Mother," Seraphina silently laughed her mother's expression, "they say that open mouths catch the most flies." At that, the duchess's mouth quickly snapped closed.

"Mother, this is Mr McKinley, I'm sure you remember him. Sir, my mother, the Duchess of Parnley, lady of the Lennox estate."

The earl didn't move to greet the older woman as he was preoccupied with keeping both him and his companion upright. He did, however, proceed to slightly bow, and as he did, Seraphina bowed along with him.

She laughed but hadn't realised that the act brought her closer to his face. He was handsome, his jaws chiselled with high cheekbones and a firm nose. His lips were pink, slightly capped and very kissable.

She hadn't realised that she was staring until her mother cleared her throat, "Phi, there you are. You were a rare sight for the evening." There sat a knowing smirk on the face of the older Lennox as she drank in the scene before her.

"I'm afraid I'm the reason for the cause. My apologies my Lady."

Seraphina lightly blushed at the Earl's reply, burying her head further into his shoulder to avoid her mother's teasing eyes.

The Duchess laughed, "no need for apologies young man. I'm thrilled that you have occupied her time, but unfortunately, others are beginning to request her presence."

Seraphina squirmed in dissent, and she was about to voice her disapproval until her eyes met her mother's. They pleaded with her, and Seraphina knew that she hadn't a choice.

Before the earl set her back into her wheelchair, he held her in a very passionate embrace for a few moments, cherishing the feel of her against him.

When she settled into her wheelchair, he kneeled before her, thumb stroking her cheek, "You should go introduce yourself to them and have your dinner. It was an absolute honour to be in your presence tonight." He kissed her forehead and left before she could have stopped him.

As the night came to an end, Seraphina approached a crossroad in her decision. After her encounter with the charming McKinley, she wasn't sure whether or not to proceed her evening as she had planned. And so, she sat there as the events continued, thinking and rethinking the pros and cons of her choices.