Chapter 22

Mor POV

I winnow Nesta and I to the place I hated more than anything. I storm to the front of the throne room, demanding an audience with my father.

"What, my Lord and Lady couldn't be bothered to speak with me themselves? Had to send the two of you instead?" Keir sneers.

"Autumn has declared war on Spring but is currently staging an attack on Summer. Your Lord and Lady have gone to offer what support they can and have sent us to ask you for the support of the darkbringers." I reply coldly.

"After the hit we took in the last war? No." he responds.

"Very well, then. But, before we go you should know that Eris payed us a visit this afternoon." Nesta says tactfully. She shoots me a look that tells me to play along and we head for the exit.

"Wait." Keir calls. We turn to face him and I raise my eyebrow, silently telling him to continue. "What did Eris want?"

"Oh, just to tell us he has a plan. To kill his father and end this war before it truly begins." I answer.

"If that's true, why do you even need the darkbringers?"

"In case the plan fails and we need to fight. And because if the other courts find out about this bargain we'll have another war on our hands and no allies to fight it with."

"Fine." Keir sighs. "Where should we be and when?"

"Have your men at the Spring/Autumn border as soon as possible." I reply, and turn to leave. As we exit the throneroom I turn to Nesta, "How did you know that would work?"

"I didn't." She admits, "I just hoped he'd be more concerned about why his new favourite ally had come straight to us than he would be about saving face."

"We should bring you to the meetings here more often. You're very good at getting my father to do what you want."

Nesta merely smiles and takes my hand as I prepare to winnow once again.