Miss Me? {Tendou Satori}

The words on the pages of your textbook all looked like nothing more than a jumble of incoherent letters to you. Despite your keen focus on trying to comprehend the material, it felt as if your brain just didn't want any more information. You'd spent so long studying that you figured your inability to read and understand simple sentences was your brain's way of telling you to take a break. Okay, you thought, playing mental games with yourself, since I can't focus on this, I'll just start my homework from another class, then!

When you reached for your other textbook, a loud knock at the door of your dorm room gave you pause. Upon answering it, you found none other than the volleyball ace of your school, Ushijima Wakatoshi, standing in the hallway. "Hey, Wakatoshi-kun! What's up?" you asked, giving him a small smile. Any other girl would've nearly passed out on the spot at seeing him at their door, but the two of you had been friends since you had become a manager of the volleyball team during your first year at the school.

His stoic, olive eyes were motionless as he wondered, "Are you coming to practice, (f/n)?"

Placing your hand behind your head, you averted your gaze and admitted, "No. I have a ton of stuff to get done for tomorrow." His attention shifted to the pile of books and papers on your desk before he returned his focus to you once again. "You never ask me that. Did you need me to come?"

He shrugged. "I'm not asking for myself."

"What does that even mean?" you questioned, your eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

With a wave of the hand, he said dismissively, "Focus on your studies, but just know that your absence this week hasn't gone unnoticed. Tendou's been a complete pain in the ass. More so than usual, anyway." Before you could even form a response, he was already down the hall, leaving you standing in your doorway with your mouth slightly agape.

After spending three years with the team, you knew they appreciated your presence at their practices, but you didn't think that missing a few days to catch up on your homework would make too much of a difference. To learn that your crush, Tendou Satori, had been acting up in your absence gave you a strange feeling of satisfaction and validation. He thoroughly enjoyed messing with you at practice and between classes, so he was probably missing his favorite target, even though he had all the rest of his teammates to pester.

You couldn't help but wonder, though: if Tendou wanted you to go to practice that badly, why hadn't he asked you himself? Probably because he couldn't swallow his pride. Why had Ushijima taken it upon himself to come knocking at your door? Maybe he'd just been tired of Tendou's behavior and hoped you'd put an end to it right then and there by agreeing to come to practice.

A buzz from your phone prompted you to return to reality from your ceaseless thoughts, and you closed the door before plopping back down at your desk. When you picked it up and turned it on, you noticed a text from the boy in question.

guess monster >:)

(F/n)-chan! U coming to practice tonight????

With a chuckle, you typed out your response: Nope! Got lots of hw :( Have fun!

Picking up your pencil and putting your phone down, you turned your attention back to your homework. Only a few moments went by before you were interrupted by yet another buzz from your phone. Grumbling, you grabbed it once again so you could read another message from the persistent middle blocker.

guess monster >:)

Laaaaaame!!!! Get everything done so u can come tmrw! Wakatoshi-kun's getting restless without u :(((((((((

Even though you knew you were going to practice tomorrow, you decided to tease him a bit anyway and say, We'll see...

You couldn't deny that hearing him beckon you to come to practice made your entire body feel warm. The fact that he was trying to put the blame on Ushijima only reaffirmed how prideful he was and gave you a good laugh. He was an interesting one, that was for sure, but that was one of the many reasons why he'd caught your eye in the first place.