CHAPTER 1. Different

Maria's POV

Zoom in... stop. It feels larger than it looks on the map. But that's our small world, surrounded by strong walls with basic amenities that kept residents, aside town workers, behind the safety of its large, solid gate. A world enriched with the sodality of Catholics, where differences align in one faith, allowing the flow of love for thy neighbour to prevail. So I guess I'd be right to say, welcome to St John Community.

It was that time of the year every student looked forward to––Speech and Prize Giving Day––which marks the end of a session, making my second year in senior secondary school official. One more year, and I'm done with this phase of my life.

Forgive my manners, now let me introduce myself. Hi, I'm Maria Benedict, oldest of two adorable siblings, with an amazing dad, and a loving mum. Not your regular model character as I'm more of an average weight girl, with a shortage of height. But people say I'm cute, so that's okay.

Our school was flooded with students and families like never before that I lost track of my friends. Smiling faces filled every corner as graduates were being celebrated by their families, looking like world achievers in their school gowns. My soon to be dream.

The event was over, and I was on my way home to start the holiday. I held my dignified result with both hands to my chest, a contented smile on my face as I marched to the opened parking lot, which was outlined in front of the school gate walls, with demarcations for each vehicle. I spotted my dad as I got closer. He was standing beside his car at the parking lot on my right.

"I know that smile..." he teased when I got to him.

"Yes! One more year to go."

"Actually, it's two."

"One."

"But you haven't started yet."

"Ugh..."

He laughed at my grumpy reaction as we hugged each other briefly. "So, how was school today?" he asked.

"Better than ever," I said, getting a warm smile in return.

"Let me have that." He stretched a hand, and I confidently gave him my report card for a check.

"A in English, B in biology, B geography..." he slowly read the grades out to himself, staring keenly at the sheet. "D in maths..."

I averted my gaze, the hold on my school bag straps that hung on my shoulders automatically tightening.

"I think it's time you take summer classes." I heard him say and when I looked up, he was staring at me with a serious expression. His concern was justified because last term I got a C. I guess my result was a little less dignifying, and my excitement for the holiday had erased the memory of my maths grade.

"But—"

"No buts... you've had your way long enough and nothing has changed. So maybe a different strategy?" His statement sounded like a question, but his tone and eyes told me he'd made a final decision. I stayed quiet, and he continued. "You're doing so well in school, and I'm proud of you"—I smiled a little, while hating the thought of summer lesson—"But it's important that you also do well in maths."

"Yes, sir..." I trailed off.

"Good. And where are your siblings?" he asked, handing back my report card.

I took it and looked around, there was no sign of them in the mass of people moving around the school premises, and then I faced him slowly. "I don't know... I lost them in the hall," I said, waiting for his scolding.