Chapter 3

Nayeon's POV

I had no idea what to do.

Mina was bawling her eyes out in the middle of the sidewalk, and I had my arm awkwardly wrapped around her shoulders. My car wasn't that far away and maybe I could drive her home, because there was no way I was forcing her to go out to dinner like this.

Yes. This was a brilliant plan. I'm a genius. Also possibly too self-confident.

"Mina." I nudged her. "My car's a few blocks away, can I drive you home?"

She nodded and wiped her eyes. Even with tear tracks staining her cheeks she looked beautiful. I kept my arm around her as we walked down the sidewalk. We were in a crowded place and I didn't want to loose her.

She occasionally sniffed as we walked, or wiped at her eyes so much they were turning red. I stopped her around the sixth time. I grabbed her hand when she was about to wipe her eye and then holy shit I was holding her hand and she didn't let go and neither did I and we were holding hands and I didn't know if I should let go but she didn't so I didn't either.

Holding her had was a bit awkward, especially because it was my right hand holding her right hand, me essentially gripping the back of her hand. It felt nice, though. It was calming to have something to hold on to. I still had my arm around her as well, and she definitely seemed more relaxed, especially when we walked through a crowd of tourists and we almost got separated.

We didn't speak the entire way back to my car. She wasn't up for conversation, and I didn't really feel like talking. It wasn't exactly a quiet, romantic stroll however. The cars were still honking, the people still talking, the lights still blazing. We walked quickly and made it back to my car in about five minutes.
When we got there, however, I really didn't want to let go of her hand to unlock the car.

I did it anyway.

I opened the passenger side door for her and she hesitated a bit before going in, almost as if she didn't want my arm to leave her shoulder. I started retracting my arm and let my hand rest in the middle of her back, gently pushing her into the seat. I closed the door and walked around to the driver's side. I got in and made sure she was buckled before bucking myself. I had just started the car before the tears started streaming down her face again. I was still in the parking spot.

I put the car in park and rested my hand palm up on the center console. She put her hand in mine. I squeezed. She squeezed back. We had been sitting for almost thirty seconds before I realized I had no idea where she lived.

"Mina?"

She sniffed. "Yeah?"

"What's your address?"

[insert random address here because I have no creativity]

I was so focused on holding her hand that I didn't realize we lived in the same neighborhood.

Mina's POV

Im Nayeon is holding my hand.

I am holding Im Nayeon's hand.

Im Nayeon is driving me home.

Ever since the accident, I've had a hard time being in cars. Especially when I'm the one driving. I've found it helpful to try to stick to the present, to keep the facts straight.

I was still on the brink of having a panic attack. Not wanting to fall apart in front of Nayeon was the only thing keeping me from having one.

We made it to my apartment building fairly quickly, but I couldn't leave her. It felt like she was the only one putting me together as I fell apart.

She pulled into the driveway. nonononononono. She was going to leave. I needed her to stay with me.

"Can I, uh, take you up?" she asked.

I sighed, relieved. She was staying.

I nodded. She squeezed my hand one more time before getting out of the car.

I unbuckled my seatbelt.

Opened the car door.

Grabbed my bag.

Stepped out and took Nayeon's hand.

Deep breaths, Myoui. Deep breaths.

She locked her car and we headed off, hand in hand.