Chapter 4

Nayeon's POV

Mina pushed the door to her apartment building open with her shoulder and walked quickly across the marble-floored lobby towards the elevators. She kept wiping at her eyes and nose. When we got to the elevator, she punched the button with such force that I was worried it would break.

"A-are you okay?" I asked hesitantly. I didn't want to seem pushy, but I was concerned. She'd been distraught all day.

She shook her head and pulled me into the elevator, stopping me from asking any more questions. She gripped my hand a little harder. She punched her floor button with the same intensity as before.

Floor 14. I tucked it into my memory for safekeeping.

She leaned against the glass wall of the elevator with a sigh. I leaned back next to her, putting my other hand over hers.

"Want to talk?"

She shook her head just as the elevator got to her floor.

She led me to a plain white door labeled 14B. I made sure to remember that as well. She let go of my hand as she took her keys out from her purse and opened the door, me awkwardly standing next to her.

"Can you, umm, stay for a little bit? Please?"

I nodded and she led me into her apartment.

She didn't have many decorations aside from a few family photos in her living room. Despite not having much inside, her apartment didn't seem empty. She was also very neat, everything seemingly organized and folded.

She took off her shoes in the doorway and I followed suit, dropping my bag next to hers.

She grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the couch. She sat me down and then sat right next to me.

"There's something I need to tell you."

Mina's POV

If I told her, she would be the first person to find out in three years. I told none of my coworkers because I didn't want them burdened with my problems. The last person I told was over a phone call to a childhood friend named Minatozaki Sana, who grew up in Texas with me, also with Japanese parents.

I took a deep breath.

*Flashback*

I had just gotten my driver's license that morning, and for my first real drive I drove my grandmother to the grocery store to run some errands.

To get to the store, we had to drive on a highway. When we got close to the entrance ramp, my grandmother told me to make sure to stay under the speed limit of 80 miles per hour and giving other various driving tips.

I mostly ignored her because I was drunk on confidence. I had just gotten a license, and she was still trying to teach me. That annoyed me. I was also on my period that day, so I was more hot-tempered and cranky than usual.

"Mina, slow down." She had her fingers dug into the  door handle so far they were leaving marks.

I scoffed, angered by the thought that she didn't trust me to drive well. I was only driving at 75 mph, 5 lower than the speed limit.

She was right.

I pressed down more on the gas pedal just to spite her, upping my speed to 78. I was still one of the slower drivers; most of the other cars were whipping past me at 90.

"Mina, I said SLOW DOWN!"

"I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAID. WHY CAN'T YOU TRUST ME?!"

I regretted it instantly when she looked away and sighed. However, I was too stubborn to apologize. I just took a deep breath and tried to drive more cautiously.

"MINA! YOU JUST GOT YOUR LICENSE! I CAN'T TRUST A 17 YEAR OLD TO DRIVE ON A HIGHWAY!"

"I STILL GOT MY LICENSE! I WORKED HARD FOR IT! AS SOMEONE WHO HASN'T DRIVEN A CAR IN THREE YEARS, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CRITICIZE ME!"

"MINA! WATCH OUT!"

I had been so busy arguing with her that I hadn't even noticed the car.

I yanked the steering wheel to the left, hoping to avoid the drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road, coming right at us. 

The other car collided with the right half of mine, barley avoiding me.

I'm told the car took a few rolls, eventually coming to a stop faceup. I wouldn't know because I was knocked unconscious right away.

When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed. Despite the car having been hit at 103 mph, I was surprisingly okay.

I was told the police were called right away, and the took me and my grandmother to the hospital. The drunk driver was arrested for a DUI and was serving a 180 day jail sentence and a 90 day license suspension.

Various nurses and doctors rushed in and out, checking my vitals. I was in there for about half an hour before my family could come in. When they did, the first thing I said was "Is grandma okay?"

"SHE'S DEAD. YOU FUCKING KILLED HER, MINA! DOES THAT SOUND LIKE SHE'S OKAY?" My dad yelled.

"She's not dead. Yet," My brother whispered.

My mom was screaming at me too, and I started sobbing.

My family was eventually taken out of the room, and I was in the hospital overnight, the same night my grandmother died. The funeral was that weekend.

When I got home, I sat in my room for two weeks, only coming out to use the bathroom, shower, and eat. My dog, Ray, was the only one who stayed with me.

The day she died was six years ago today. The day I killed her.

I managed to Nayeon everything before bursting into tears again. She put an arm around my shoulder and pulled my head into her chest, letting me cry. I calmed down eventually and sat up.

"Could you possibly stay the night? I don't really do well when I'm alone on this day. I have a guest room and everything. And I can cook dinner."

"Of course." She leaned back and smiled at me, and I couldn't help but smile back.