Part 1

When Renee came to, her head was a mess.

As her eyes focused on the ceiling, she felt her head throb as if someone was pounding the inside of her skull with a mallet.

Propping herself up on her elbows, Renee surveyed her surroundings. She was in a bedroom decorated with antique-looking Victorian furniture. Next to her was a bedstand where a lamp stood, emitting a dim orange glow that was her only source of light. A dresser was up against one wall and a desk against the other. In the far corner of the room was a chaise by a window. Outside, the rain was pouring heavily and pelting against the glass like bullets. The eerie pitter-patter of rain from outside echoed through the room, sending shivers down Renee's spine. 

Where is this place?

A horrible ringing in her ears broke her concentration as she tried to recall what happened last.

I was looking for the black rabbit, but then..?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a petite girl standing at the doorway to the room. The light from the hallway highlighted her figure, making it difficult to see her face. As soon as Renee noticed the girl, she ran away, calling for her mother. 

"Mama! Mama! The guest woke up!"

The girl returned with a tall woman whom Renee assumed was her mother. She approached Renee with a warm smile, sitting herself down on the edge of the bed.

She was striking; her dark wavy brown hair was tied up in a neat bun as stray hairs framed her porcelain white face. Her almond green eyes were gentle and calm, gazing at Renee with motherly love. The beauty mark on the left side of her chin only accentuated her jawline and made her appear even more graceful.

The daughter resembled her mother closely. Her dark brown hair framed her doll-like face where two piercing green hues bore holes into your soul. In her arms she carried what appeared to be a stuffed rabbit.

"How are you feeling? Does it hurt anywhere?" The mother asked, brows knitted in concern.

Renee hesitated. "I'm fine, my head just hurts a bit. I probably hit it when I fell."

She felt a rough fabric around her forehead and immediately identified it as bandages.

"I'm glad you're alright." the woman breathed in relief. She put a hand around the little girl's shoulder and pulled her closer. "My name is Lilith, and this is my daughter Bridget. She found you passed out in the rain and we carried you back."

Bridget hid her face behind her toy rabbit, and Lilith chuckled. "I apologize. She's a bit shy around strangers."

"No, it's okay." Renee smiled sheepishly. "Thank you so much for taking me in. My name is Renee, and I live around here. Are you familiar with the Belmonte Estate?"

"Belmonte? I'm afraid I'm unaware." Lilith replied apologetically. You see, my husband is terribly ill so I rarely leave the house. I'm sure my son would be more familiar with this name, he is the one who goes out the most."

Renee glanced out the window. "It's raining cats and dogs outside, isn't it? I wonder when it will stop."

Lilith pondered for a moment before getting up. "Yes, I heard a terrible storm is on its way. It's most likely not safe for you to leave at this time, so please feel free to stay as long as you wish until the rain lets up."

She reached into her dress pocket and fished out a golden pocket watch. "Let's continue this over dinner, shall we?"

Bridget clung onto Lilith's dress, following her mother out of the room. "Please excuse me as I have to prepare supper. I left some clean clothes by your dresser so please change into that."

"Thank you, Miss Lilith." Renee nodded as the door closed behind her. 

What's with their clothes? Renee thought, slipping out of bed. They were both wearing old-fashioned dresses. Are they filming a movie or is it a fashion statement?

She noticed that she wasn't wearing her original clothes so figured that they probably changed her into the nightgown. It wasn't really what Renee would wear to bed, but beggars can't be choosers. She quickly changed into the clothes on the dresser and made her way to the kitchen.

The house wasn't very big which made it easy to find Lilith. She was cooking something that smelled heavenly and Renee's stomach growled in anticipation.

"You must be starving." Lilith laughed upon hearing her stomach's whale-cry. She turned towards Renee, looking her up and down and then nodding in satisfaction. "I'm glad the clothes fit you."

"Yes, thank you very much." Renee took a seat at the dinner table. "Forgive me for being rude, but why is it that you're wearing old-fashioned clothes? I'm just curious, so please don't take offense."

Lilith paused for a split second before stirring the pan, unaffected. "Does it bother you? I'm sorry, I just prefer these clothes in comparison to the modern ones that you wear. And besides, don't you think it's pretty?"

Lilith smiles, doing a little posing. Renee returned the grin, nodding.

"It really suits you, Miss Lilith."

"Why thank you, honey."

Without warning, the back door burst open and a drenched figure walked in. Lilith immediately put down her spatula and hurried to help the person.

"Sebastian! Oh dearest me, you're completely drenched!" Lilith ran to the bathroom and returned with a towel. "What did I say about hunting in the rain? I wouldn't want you to get sick."

Sebastian pulled down his hood as she handed him the towel, droplets of water clinging to his messy brown hair. For a brief moment, his hazel eyes which resembled pools of honey, met Renee's, making her heart skip a beat. 

"Renee, this is my son Sebastian. He was the one who carried you here."

"Hello." Renee greeted, waving shyly.

The boy looked around her age, early twenties, and well built. He gave a single nod of acknowledgment before handing Lilith what was in his hands.

A rabbit.

It was dead.

Renee flinched at the sight of blood running down the rabbit's soaked fur. Its soulless eyes stared at Renee as if it were driving a stake through her chest. She pictured the black rabbit from earlier in his hands.

Was he the one who hurt it?

"This is great. More meat for supper, I suppose." Lilith sing-songed, bringing the rabbit with her to the kitchen. "Go wash up, Sebastian. We'll have a feast tonight to welcome our new guest."

Sebastian took off the hunting rifle that was slung over his shoulder and placed it next to the door with a heavy thud. He disappeared down the hall to the bathroom, leaving a trail of muddy footprints in his wake.

Renee sank into her seat and gulped. Why would they hunt for rabbits when they can just buy groceries from the nearest grocery store? She didn't recall anyone living on her family's estate, yet this family seems like they were here for a while. Everything just seemed so out of place, but Renee didn't have the courage to confront it.

I'll just bear with it until I go home. Renee told herself. What the worst that can happen?

- -