Three

My first order of business is to get tour dates and venues locked down. The ultimate goal is to start rehearsals sooner rather than later while we're still in LA—next week, if possible. In order to get that ball rolling, I contact 5 Seconds of Summer's tour production team so that they can start working on stage designs and even a setlist.

Then, with a tour in the making, I can start booking venues and interviews. I spend the rest of the week working on just that, as well as attempting to secure a final budget number from upper management—it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to hand out a good budget. I spend the entire weekend on conference calls and emailing them back and forth because I want this tour to be as great as possible, and by the end, I think I've convinced them. Things seem to be falling into place and by the first rehearsal on Monday I already am feeling a sense of accomplishment.

I get to the venue where the band will be rehearsing for the next month or two around seven a.m.—well before most anyone is set to get in, but I'm an early bird and prefer to arrive early. The crew won't get here until eight, and the band not until nine, so the quiet, empty venue gives me some time to drink my morning Starbucks while catching up on my emails. I find a little seating area in the corner of the building to hang out in while I work.

Eventually, crew members start to trickle in, slowly filling the venue up with chatter and noise. At eight o'clock, I slide my laptop back into the pink backpack that I carry around with me at all times and take to making my rounds through the venue, making sure that all the crew members are alright and have everything they need to get their jobs done. One of my favorite parts of my job is getting to know various crew members and learning how they do their parts to construct the magic of the show.

When the band fails to show up at nine, I'm not exactly surprised. Looking back, I'm not sure I've ever worked with an artist who wasn't frequently late. That kind of thing is just sort of a given in this industry, especially when you're working with famous people, and you get used to it after a while.

Finally a quarter after nine I hear a couple of crew members announcing that the band has arrived, and I instantly start making my way over to where they should be.

The first observation I make upon seeing them is how energetic and excited they seem to be. Don't get me wrong, many artists exude that kind of energy but it's usually not at a rehearsal on a Monday morning. These boys are young but somehow, I don't think their ages have anything to do with their energy levels.

Right now, all four of them are sitting on the backstage couches, waiting for Marie, the head of the tour production team and choreography to come and give them direction. Since the only thing they seem to be doing is scrolling on their phones, chatting, and laughing, I decide that now is probably the best time to introduce myself. I walk up to them, immediately recognizing Ashton, and when he sees me he smiles and waves.

How freakin' cute is that?

"Hey guys," I get the rest of the band's attention while waving back at Ashton. "I'm Violet, your new manager. I just thought I would come over and say hi before you guys get down to business."

I balance my backpack on the arm of one of the couches, reaching into the small front compartment and pulling out a stack of my business cards.

"Here's my card—it has my number on it," I explain, passing one to each of them. "Don't hesitate to call or text if you need anything, okay?"

"I'm Calum," the boy sitting next to Ashton pipes up, holding out his hand for a shake, which I accept. He's wearing black skinny jeans and a t-shirt, and he has a blond streak running through his messy jet black hair. "I play bass, and I'm the frontman, aka the most important member."

"You are not," Michael, I think is his name, says, rolling his eyes from where he's sitting on the opposite couch. I recognize him because of his colorful red hair. He then turns his head to look up at me, adding to his previous statement, "he's not."

"I am the most dashing, though," Calum shrugs, not bothering to hide his smirk, and after a moment of contemplation, each of the other three boys voices their agreement.

"I'm Ashton, we met last week," Ashton reminds me as if I wouldn't have remembered such a kind, happy face. "And over there is Michael and Luke."

Michael says hello, and Luke looks up from his phone and echoes Michael. They're all wearing some variation of the same thing, black skinny jeans with t-shirts, and I can't help but think it's interesting that they stick to their brand image even when not in the direct spotlight. It's not uncommon for bands to do that, but I think it helps highlight how genuine they seem to be.

"It's nice to meet you all," I say with a smile, doing my best to come across as kind and welcoming—it's part of the job description. "I think this is going to be an amazing tour, and I can't wait to get to know each of you personally."

"Luke's pretty high maintenance, so I apologize on his behalf in advance," Ashton says with a grin.

"I am not high maintenance," Luke protests, but it doesn't stop the rest of the boys from laughing at his expense. For a moment, I'm worried that Luke might be getting upset, but then he cracks a smile as well and I realize that maybe this is just their language. "If anyone's high maintenance it's you, Ashton!"

Through all the laughter and noise, my phone vibrates, and I pull it out to see I have an email. Opening up the app, I see it's from Linda Binds, the woman who oversees final budgets, and I scan through it quickly just to see what it's about. A wave of frustration crashes over me once I see the budget number she's sent me, and it's ten thousand below what I was trying to compromise with.

"Goddamnit," I say, mostly to myself, because ten grand is a lot of money lost, and I thought upper management had been on board with my original budget proposal.

"What?" I raise my eyes up from the phone to see Ashton looking at me, and it's strange because I've never had an artist seem actually interested in my job or what I'm doing.

This band really is different—in a good way, of course.

"Just budget stuff," I tell him, not wanting to lie but also not wanting to let anything slip, because the last thing I want is this getting out to everyone else. "You know, all the boring behind the scenes stuff."

"I don't think that's boring," Ashton insists, his hazel eyes gazing up at me earnestly.

"Oh," is all I can say to that. "Well, you'd be the first."

I glance at the time, and I quickly estimate that if I leave right now I can run up to Headquarters, try to get that ten grand back, and head back just in time to grab lunch for the boys.

"Alright, well, have a good rehearsal," I say a bit louder, grabbing the attention of the other boys as well. "I'll be back around twelve pm, so text me your lunch requests sometime before then."

After responding to a chorus of cheerful goodbyes, I quickly leave the venue, feeling the frustration return as I realize the argument I'm probably about to get into.

Oh well—that's just a part of the job. 

Hey, follow me on twitter @/eudemoniclwt

—Lexi