Chapter XII

Four days have gone by since Pink Aid and none of the women from the committee have spoken to Meredith. She's called them, emailed, and texted but receives nothing in response. In fear that she could run into Jules, she goes for morning bike rides instead of spin class and pulls out the blender from the back of the pantry to make bland smoothies instead of popping into the juice bars scattered about Westport. The only woman Meredith can't avoid forever is Pam, who she's determined to confront next time she sees her at the barn.

On a late afternoon at the end of the week, Meredith spots Pam's Audi parked outside Barn 6. She pops her head into Luna's stall but it's just Diego inside spreading sawdust.

"Is Pam here?"

"She have a lesson," he says.

She waves her hand to thank him and goes to the outdoor ring. There's Pam on her black mare, cantering around the ring jumping over four-foot verticals. She makes it look so easy, as if all she needs to do is aim for the jump, stand up in her stirrups, and Luna does the rest.

When Pam cools Luna down, she spots Meredith and shouts, "How'd I look?"

Meredith puts up both thumbs. "Incredible!"

She waits for Pam to ride out of the ring.

"How's Barn 5?" Pam asks, looking down at Meredith like a queen looking to one of her subjects.

"It's good. Thor's made a new friend."

Pam has that forced energy in her tone, "Oh that's nice! Which horse?"

"Pippa, she's the dapple-grey."

Pam shrugs, "I think I know the one." She dismounts and gathers the reins, waiting for Diego.

"Can we talk?" Meredith asks, wringing her hands together.

"Sure. I'm going to take Luna out to the field. Grab Thor and come with me."

Meredith is confused—why did they come up to Barn 6, then? But Diego comes out and takes the saddle and girth off Luna then carries it back into the barn.

"Hurry up, I'll wait for you."

"You're riding bareback?" Meredith asks, in disbelief.

"Mhm, and so are you."

Meredith laughs, shaking her head.

Pam purses her lips. "It's good for strengthening your legs." She pokes Meredith's thigh. "Go get him. Come on."

Heart racing, Meredith grabs Thor's bridle and her helmet. She puts his bridle on in the stall and leads him out. Pam has already mounted Luna, her legs shaped around her stomach as if there's an invisible saddle underneath her.

Meredith brings Thor to the mounting and grabs the reins and a clump of Thor's mane as tightly as she can. She carefully lifts her right leg over and hops forward onto his back, her body slipping sideways.

"Wrap your legs around him and sit up tall," commands Pam.

Meredith does this and squeezes Thor forward. He starts walking and his spine rattles underneath her butt-bones. Without the comfort of a saddle, she finds it very difficult to sit up tall. A nerve pinches in her back each time she tries to slouch, correcting her position. They ride in silence down the road as Meredith constantly repositions herself because she keeps sliding from side to side. Once they're in the field, Pam presses Luna forward into a trot.

"No! I'm not ready!" Meredith shouts but Thor has already picked up pace to follow Luna. Meredith tries to keep herself heavy and grounded on Thor's back as she bounces up and down. She bounces to the right and leans forward, grabbing Thor's neck to regain balance.