Chapter IV

On Wednesday Meredith wakes up to Olivia at the foot of her bed.

"You're still sleeping?" Olivia says, folding her arms. She's in her skirt and button-down shirt uniform and her face glows with liquid foundation. "I'm going to be late for school."

It's 7:15 am.

"Ffff," Meredith stops herself. "Go downstairs, I'll be there in a second."

Olivia gives her one long eye-roll before leaving the room.

Meredith jumps out of bed and pulls on a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. She rushes into the kitchen, grabbing her keys. Lemon is weaving through her legs begging for attention, so Meredith picks the dog up and carries her out to the car.

"Why are you taking the dog?" Olivia trails after her. "Mom? Mom!" Meredith gets in the car, tossing Lemon into the backseat. She starts driving, ignoring Olivia who is still asking why Lemon is in the car, and also why Meredith slept in. Olivia gets so annoyed that Meredith isn't responding to her that she turns on the radio, which she never does.

Z-100 is doing a prank-call to a father who thinks his daughter has gotten arrested. Olivia immediately starts laughing as she listens to it. Meredith wonders if this had been a morning ritual with Tripp.

Suddenly Olivia's hand clamps down on Meredith's arm.

"Wait!" she shouts, pointing to the Starbucks they've just passed.

"We don't have time."

"But—I have a free first period."

Meredith knows she's lying, but she slows at the intersection and turns around anyway. The sparkle in Olivia's hazel eyes, over one iced soy vanilla latte—it gives Meredith a quiet satisfaction.

They get to school five minutes after 8 and there isn't a traffic line driving up to the entrance. Olivia is about to jump out, her bag hanging from the crook of her arm, and then she whips her head around to Meredith.

"Isn't your lesson today?"

Meredith's eyes pop out—she has no idea how Olivia knew that.

"Be careful," Olivia warns and then she slams the door shut so hard that the car wobbles, causing Lemon to lose her balance in the backseat.

Meredith's cheeks burn. Why did her daughter have to say that? Why not Have fun! Let me know how it goes! Maybe she was just mocking Meredith because before every lacrosse game, Meredith would tell Olivia to be careful and Olivia would respond Be careful with what?

But lacrosse is lacrosse. There are mouth guards and goggles for protection, and the hard ground is just underneath your feet. Riding horses is dangerous. Yesterday, Meredith couldn't wait to get on Thor's back. Now, she's thinking about falling six feet, her head hitting the ground, her neck cracking.

Meredith goes home to change into cream-colored breeches, thick blue riding socks pulled up to her knees, and a lilac short-sleeved collared shirt underneath a tan half-zip sweater, the black Ralph Lauren logo on her breast. She braids her hair at first, but then sifts her fingers through it to break it up and decides to just leave her hair down for now. One more glance in the mirror and her reflection sends goosebumps up her arms.

When she arrives at the barn, Diego jumps out from a stall.

"I'm sorry! So sorry! I think your lesson at eleven!"

He throws the pitchfork into the wheelbarrow and runs toward the tack room.

"Yes it is!" Meredith calls after him. She doesn't understand the rush.