11.

"So, how've you been?"

"Um, fine! I've been great." I could barely form words even for the simplest of conversation. My wine glass was frustratingly empty.

"We saw your set at that music festival," he told me, resting his elbows on the table with a single hand wrapped around his drink.

We? "Oh, yeah? It was... really fun."

"I gotta be honest, it's surprising to me that you got this far," he took a sip. "It's a tough industry."

I heard Miku huff in annoyance behind me. I'm sure they were expecting an introduction, but I knew they weren't even going to try to hide their disgust once they figured out who Everett was. I didn't want to make this situation even worse. "We've been working hard," was all I said to him.

A moment of awkward silence passed. The tension lay heavy around us, comparable only to the humid ocean air back home.

He took another swig of his drink. "I, ah, hope there are no hard feelings," he said.

I shook my head slowly. "Not at all."

"Good, good. Well, I just wanted to come say hi," he said, much to my relief, as he rose to his feet. "I guess I'll be seeing you girls around the set."

I sent him a smile, mentally telling him to leave.

Thankfully, he seemed to get the message, raising his drink towards me one more time before turning around and walking towards another group of people.

I turned back to my friends, a small smile on my face. I felt oddly calm.

"Why the hell do you know everyone?" Miku asked me. "And who was that guy? He gave me major creep vibes-"

"That," I told her, taking a deep breath. "Is Dex's dad."

Her mouth dropped open, just as I expected it to.

Gumi raised her eyebrows. "Dex's dad? What's he doing here?"

"Producing, I guess," I told them.

Teto folded her arms into her lap, saying nothing.

"Crazy ex," I told her, answering her unsaid question.

"Ah," she replied.

Miku looked over her shoulder, scanning the crowds. "Do you think he's here, too?"

"I hope not." I folded my arms on the bar.

"Do you want to leave?" Gumi asked.

I shook my head. Even though the thought of seeing him again was somewhat horrifying, my gut feeling told me that Dex's dad would never bring him to an event as important as this. I hoped.

But after tonight, he would definitely know where I was.

Miku looked in the direction Everett had disappeared, scoffing. "I can see where Dex got his stalker-tendencies from. His dad's just as creepy."

Gumi leaned towards me. "Are you... okay?"

"Yeah," I answered, staring at the bottles lining the walls of the bar. "Fine."

A lapse in the conversation passed.

"Let's go get some food," I suggested, eager for a subject change. Plus, I hadn't eaten since our flight this morning.

Miku and Gumi exchanged a single, short look of unease before turning back to Teto. "Want to join us?" Miku asked with a smile. "You can tell us all about the other contestants."