16.

"Oh my god, look at that place!" Teto exclaimed, staring wide-eyed at the candy-store perched right around the corner from Radio City. Hershey's Chocolate World was much more than a normal candy store, however. Even from a distance, it stood out tremendously with dozens of neon signs depicting the brands of the most popular chocolate bars sticking out from the building at every possible spot.

"I'm about to spend a grand on candy," Kai promised.

"Me too," Teto agreed. The two of them walked together, leading Gakupo, Fukase, and I towards the store.

"No, no," Gaku argued. "We'll cover you."

Teto pouted. "I can take care of myself-"

"Our treat!" Kai insisted. He threw his hands up in the air for emphasis. "We have to celebrate our showdown somehow."

Teto rolled her eyes, a small smile peeking out. "Fine," she finally said. "But just this one time."

We had just left Radio City after Teto's success in the first round. It was only two days until the next show, where we would compete against the red-haired girl herself.

"Hey, T," Fukase asked, jumping up to her other side. "Are you and the band doing anything outfit-wise? People are all over the whole uniform thing-"

Kai rolled his eyes, even though Fukase had completely managed to avoid mentioning Merge by name. "Not this again," he muttered.

"Don't you think we should listen to what the fans have to say?" Fukase argued. "We don't have to go crazy, either. Just matching. Or something."

"Yeah," Teto answered. We crossed the street, pausing at the grand entrance to the candy emporium. Her enthusiasm was dampened a bit at the thought of Merge. "We're doing something different next round. And I want to go crazy with it," she added with a smile.

In my pocket, my fingers wrapped around my phone, expecting a text any second. Rin had said she would be busy rehearsing for the next round, but I couldn't help feeling hopeful that she'd send me a short message during breaks. So far, she hadn't.

Kai snorted. "You going to wear a dumbass kimono, too?"

Teto turned on him, glaring daggers. I was a bit taken aback by the sudden anger she showed. He was, too.

Fukase sighed. "Just let it go-"

He held up his hands in defense. "Okay! Jeez. Sorry."

Teto shook her head. "You're ridiculous. You and Merge both." She crossed her arms, turning her back on the candy store and back to us. "I'm still trying to figure out why you guys even hate each other in the first place."

"Why wouldn't we-" Kai began, but Teto immediately cut him off.

"What'd they do to you, Kaito? What's the big secret? Did they kill your whole family or something? Burn your house down? What is it?"

Kai opened his mouth to respond but quickly closed it. He looked to Gakupo and I for backup.

Next to me, Gaku shrugged. "They've always been pretty hostile to us." His voice was calm. "Honestly, we're just trying to defend ourselves."

She let out a laugh. "That's pretty much what Miku told me," she retorted. "You guys both act like kids. 'They started it!'" She held her hands up, mockingly, then rolled her eyes. "Even if it's for the publicity, I can't stand it." To my horror, she turned her direction to me, saying nothing, but clearly expecting a response.

I kept my mouth shut, feeling my face flush and looking between my bandmates for help.

"Hey, now!" Fukase jumped in, a forced smile on his face. "Let's just not talk about it, okay? We're supposed to be having a fun night. Are you guys gonna go buy candy or what?"