Chapter Eleven

Kira

"So, you met with Watari and he said he'll help?" I ask my cousin Ryu. We sit on a bench in front of a convenience store eating snacks that he bought.

"Yeah, he seemed really cool," Ryu comments.

"He is, isn't he?" I reply, resting my chin in the palm of my hand and staring off into the sky. "If only he didn't have a girlfriend,"

"Kira?" A voice snaps me out of my thoughts and I look to see Kioshi blocking the sun.

"Ack! When did you get here?" I exclaim.

"You two know each other?" Ryu asks.

"Yeah, this is Nakayama Kioshi, we went to the same high school," I answer him.

"You must be Ryu, right? I've heard some things about you, you play soccer?" Kioshi places his hand out for Ryu to shake.

Ryu takes his hand and nods. "Yeah, do you play?"

"I used to, but I stopped after high school," Kioshi explains.

"Ah, I see." Ryu's phone rings and he stands up to answer. "My mom's calling so I have to go. I'll see you guys around then," Ryu waves goodbye and runs off, answering his mother's call.

I sigh and look up to Kioshi who wears a gray oversized t-shirt, acid-washed jeans, and Vans. "What're you doing here?" I inquire.

He holds up a coffee can to my face and I back up. "I was on my way to my school to pick up something when I wanted coffee so I stopped by here. What were you guys talking about?" Kioshi sits next to me and opens his drink, taking a sip of the coffee.

"Watari decided to help coach Ryu's team, isn't that great?" I ask enthusiastically but Kioshi chokes on his drink and coughs.

"Y-you what? Didn't I tell you to leave him alone?!" Kioshi shouts.

"He's just coaching a team! What's wrong with that?" I fire back. "I don't have any intentions..."

"Hah! Sure. Then tell me, do you go to Ryu's practices already? Don't lie to me," He stares into my eyes, making sure I won't fib.

"I... No," I hesitantly answer.

"And now with Watari coaching, are you going to?"

I avoid looking at Kioshi and face down at my lap. "I mean, I might stop by every once in a while..."

Kioshi sighs and leans back on the bench. "As I expected,"

"Is it wrong for me to do that?" I ask, the anger inside of me rising at his reactions.

"For you to chase after a guy whose taken? You tell me," Kioshi tilts his head to look at me, a smug grin on his face knowing that he won this battle.

Watari

After running a couple of miles around the track, I lie on the field in the center, drinking water and stretching a bit. As I look to the sky, someone's face enters my field of vision and stares down at me.