FOURTEEN

Friday, June 2nd, 2017

Friday, June 2nd, 2017. 8:30 AM

One Week Later

• • •

The moment he entered the office I had made up my mind to speak to him. I watched him walk to his desk, smiling at Linda and saying hello to Richard. His eyes never casting my way-why would they? We sit so far from each other now. I make myself busy and continue to type my response to yet another email asking for a comment and interview about Superman's new suit. I typed out a polite no, thank you. Since the intense reveal of Superman's black suit, the world has been in an uproar. Everyone seems to think he has gone evil, and that him coming back from the dead is a bad omen now that he isn't dawning his usual red and blues. In an effort to clear my mind, I move out of my seat and head to the break room.

The kettle bubbles with heat as the water begins to reach a boiling point, I watch the bubbles fight and smash against the glass. The light beneath is blue, bright, and the noise a low hum- loud enough that I didn't hear the other person in the room. A hand taps me on my shoulder and I jump spinning around.

"Ben?" I balk. He was the last person I thought I'd see. Ben stood a bit from me, hands raised.

"I didn't mean to scare you."

"Nevermind that, what are you doing here?" I asked as the kettle turned off and I reached for my cup, the tea bag already inside.

"I need the key to get the rest of my things."

Clutching the hot mug I turn to him with a raised brow, "You never came by last week, and I'm busy now."

"I know. I wasn't handling the break up well as you know...Annie, please I'd rather do it with you not there."

His bright blue eyes had bags under them, his hair was a mess and for the first time since I've met him, his shirt was wrinkled.

"Why haven't you called me? Or text? You didn't have to come to see me in person on my floor. There are simpler ways to do this, Ben."

An odd expression crossed his tired features, "Annie, we talked yesterday. You said to come by this morning."

"We talked yesterday?" I repeated, frowning.

"Yes, you said to come get the key now since you'd be at work all day." He looked at me his brows furrowed, "Do you not remember?"

"I-I of course I remember. It just slipped my mind. The key is in my purse." My grip on my mug tightened as I walked out of the break room. Ben followed a bit behind. When had we spoken? We must have if he's here to get the key...but why don't I remember it? To not allow him to linger behind me awkwardly, I pulled the key off my keychain rather quickly and handed it to him.

"I'll be out within an hour. I'll leave the key on the kitchen counter." Ben quickly said once the key was in his palm.

"Take all the time you need, Ben."