Is our social equilibrium intact ?

By Abin Amatya

Society not recognizing these 'Gender Identities' has made the LGBT community complex. These individuals live in fear of showing their true identity to the world due to their fear of society not accepting them for having a different sexual orientation.

Society has been advocating that one should take pride of themselves of who they are, but yet we end up judging these oppressed groups for being different. This LGBT 'subculture' is often not accepted by society, looked down upon, and misjudged. However, we are all human beings and we all deserve to be treated equally.

Some people start questioning their sexuality, and even hide it from the society after realizing that their sexual preference are different from those considered normal. According to the data of survey conducted among the members of the LGBT community, almost 40% stated that they were not accepted by their family or even friends due to their gender identity or sexual orientation. Such situations cause serious problems in the LGBT community, which can lead to severe problems like depression.

LGBT rights in Nepal lie among one of the most progressive and successful campaigns in Asia. The Nepalese Constitution recognizes LGBT rights as fundamental rights. Nepal's current LGBT laws are some of the most tolerant in Asia and expand upon a multitude of rights for LGBT Nepali community. LGBT community deserves a place in our civil society and we need to extend our full support. We need to empower a new generation of activists and give space to emerging leaders to maintain a social equilibrium and an egalitarian society.