:: 04 - edited

There were times Melanie felt bad for him; he persistently attempted to gain her attention be it negative or positive but only failed or ended up arguing with her. She understood what he was going through, in some way they were kind of in the same shoes. It wasn't that she never tried to get Alex to notice her, she had done that on several occasions; her problem was the fact that he only viewed Melanie as a friend.

How she wished for her life to be a fairy tale, where she could fall in love with her price charming and live happily ever after. Like always, she is forced to remember that in real life you don't always get your fairytale ending. Like most girls who are compelled to witness their crush chase after a different person, she wondered what extraordinary qualities he saw in dear friend. What did she possess that Melanie couldn't? These inner debates and her other insecurities always got the best of her. She didn't like to think negatively of her friend but it got hard not to when her crush felt that way towards her friend and not her.

Melanie is brought out of her train of thoughts when she felt a light tap on her shoulder coming from the person who sat behind her. They passed a note that looked like it had been crumpled one too many times. With nothing else to do, she chose to open it and read it's written content. It was a letter from a boy in her class who had grown the courage to reveal his feelings towards her. She felt slightly flattered by the fact that someone had feelings for her and sad because she didn't not feel the same way. She wished she did, she hoped that she could feel half of what she felt for Alex to this other gentleman. Things would have been so much easier for her if she could but alas she just could not bring herself to pretend to like him that way.

And now she was left with the task of letting this poor fellow know that. How could she break the unfortunate news to him. 'Oh, I'm sorry I can't date you, why? Well, I'm head over heels for another guy who barely notices me'. No, since lying was not a choice she was left with the only mature option and that was to tell him the truth.

To her it was the most reasonable thing to do, she replied telling him the truth...well some of it anyway. At least he wouldn't have to worry about the fact that she rejected him because of another person, even if she was sure he'd probably catch on and realise the actual reason for himself. 

I'm sorry but I don't like you like that.

That was a bit mean but she couldn't risk someone else's feelings interfering with hers for Alex. She felt sorry that guy but only wished him well and knows he'd find the right person for him. Someone who'd appreciate him and love him despite his flaws. Unfortunately for him that person just wasn't her.

---