Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"The only way to take control of your life is to let it go." I took a deep breath as I started my ritual. I took a moment to really think about the words plastered on my mirror. Letting things go didn't seem like the best move for me at the moment. Then I thought about Vincent's words on how I just need to stop thinking too much on things and just let them be.

"Okay, I can do this." I said to myself. I studied myself in the mirror and felt content with what I saw. I didn't feel the need to hide in shame or change my clothes. I did my hair in loose curls and let them hang down. Vincent told me to dress comfortably, yet to wear something I wouldn't mind getting dirty. I wore a pair of faded jeans and a plain blue shirt.

"I really need to buy a pair of tennis shoes." I laughed as I realized none of my shoes are casual enough for the outfit. I had on light makeup just enough to accent the outfit since I still was unsure of what we were doing today.

Friday, our last planned hangout day. These last few days with Vincent have been wonderful. Wednesday we went to a small cafe and watched a few people do different styles of the spoken word. One person even had a painter in the background. It was beautiful to watch the woman work the strokes of the brush to the speakers' words. In the end, it turned into a beautiful field of daisies.

Thursday, he had taken off from the diner and we spent the entire day together. Ate breakfast across town, then went to a jazz concert. It was something new for us both and I really enjoyed it. At the end of the night, we went back to the bar lounge area so he could do his weekly show. I had invited Megan and Lenny to come and they both made fun of how happy I seemed.

"Did someone get a visit from the 'O' gods?" Meg teased. I stared at her confused until Lenny started making obnoxious sex noises. It was horrifying. No matter how many times I denied anything remotely romantic going on, they refused to listen. We were just friends, and I quite enjoy having more than two friends now. He showed me a lot of different things I wouldn't have even thought of on my own.

"Emory I think you're finally coming out of your shell." I said to my reflection. "Why thank you Manuela, you don't look too bad yourself." I grabbed my phone and sent him a quick text seeing if sandals were appropriate for the day.

'For the first part, yes. We can stop and find you some if you want? Or I can find something else for us to do. I have a long list.'

I couldn't help but laugh at his enthusiasm. I typed out that it was okay to stop before throwing on a pair of sandals. I grabbed my suitcase from the back of my closet placing it on top of my bed. I needed to get started on packing for my work trip next week. We were leaving next Friday. I still didn't think I was ready, but the more I thought about it, the less hurt I felt.

I finally came to terms with what happened. Writing in the journal I had found in the shop helped to put things in perspective as well. I wrote about everything for the last few days. My outings with Vincent, my fear of going home, the hurt I felt, the pain I endured. All of it. I've felt much better since then.

I checked the time and saw I still had some time before I was to meet with Vincent. I searched my closet or the perfect evening gown to wear to the charity ball but had no such luck. I really needed to go shopping and upgrade my wardrobe. I then moved onto packing a few casual outfits for in between meetings and on the days we'd only be traveling. Mr. Jones always liked to have at least a day in between traveling to rest.

After I had carefully packed the few outfits I grabbed my things and headed out. I stopped by the post office first to send my mother the items I had found for her. I even added a card just because. I looked down at the GPS again as I made my way to the address Vincent texted me. It was a small class where people can sip wine and paint. I finally pulled up and found Vincent waiting by his car.