Introduction

Dramatis Personae

Gree Badgerscroft - 17 years old, our dashing heroine. Thin, somewhere in the 40 kilos range. Practical and responsible, yet not without her caring side (to the few people whom she loves).

Pruden "Pru" Badgerscroft - 9 years old, Gree's adorable brother. Suffers from piedoporosis, a condition affecting mobility of the legs.

Dirgette Badgerscroft - 35 years old, the mother of Gree and Pruden. Often worries and is anxious in temperament. Medium height and works as a farmer/washerwoman/seamstress.

Monty Wheatseed - 21 years old, an extremely attractive local farmer whom Gree is greatly infatuated with.

His Royal Highness of the Land, Seas, Other Materials and All Media in the Known Universe Baarkson Flitterteeth - 45 years old, king, emperor and amateur dentist. Amorous in personality and enjoys marrying women considerably younger than him. Up to his sixth wife by the time our novel starts.

Amell Keystone- Baarkson's kind son, nothing at all like his father, who befriends Gree

Figaro - age unknown, the mysterious lord of the underworld. Believed to be part Greblin and rumoured to have magic powers. His number is 6971180 (Figaro).

Locations and Terminology

Byrnkaike - the home planet of Gree, Pruden, and the above characters. Pronounced as burncake.

Greblins - near human aquatic species who were the first inhabitants of Byrnkaike. " "Pure" greblins are extinct, but human/greblin hybrids, products of love between the species, still exist, but live on the outskirts of society, feared for their "wicked magic".

Rarravan - motorised vehicles used by Baarkson and other upper class individual to travel over long distances.

Kryyte City - capital of Byrnkaike, where Baarkson lives. Only rich people live in Kryyte, with the poorer folks living in the surrounding country. Colloquially called 'Kryyte' (pronounced 'kr-i-te', rhyming with 'kite.')

Busse- a form of train transport used throughout Byrnkaike by the poorer citizens.

Author's Note

This work is, in its finest form, a complete farce. Therefore my readers must approach this work with an open mind, knowing that the plot and characters are, in essence, a parody on the ever popular themes of romance and dystopia.

I pride in it not because of its brilliance but the amusement it brings to my readers.