Part 5

Karthik’s POV.

Blinded by bright light I closed my eyes a multiple times. I couldn’t adjust to it well. I rolled around in the very cosy bed. About one thing I was sure, wherever I was, I wasn’t in my room. I groaned and tossed and turned trying to remember what all had happened last night. That’s when it clicked – I was in Naira’s house. And this was her room.

Cursing I sat up straight. I remembered dozing off in her arms. But as I woke up she had disappeared. I wondered whether it was a dream. Suddenly the door clicked open revealing Naira. She looked cute in her spongebob pyjamas and an oversized T-shirt.

“Morning !!” She chirped looking for something in her drawers. I tried to smile but failed miserably as a strong pain shot through my head.
“Hangover ?!!” She asked taking a pile of clothes into the bathroom. I nodded.

“You have had a really rough night.” She said.

“No not really.” I smiled at the events from the night before. She rolled her eyes and handed me some tablets with a glass of water.

“Its Crocin. Especially for hangover. It will help you with the head ache.” She said.

“Yeah.Thanks.” I said gulping down the medicine with the water.

“Well I m not touching alcohol again.” I muttered. Her musical laugh echoed in my ears.

“You better not. I m gonna head down and prepare breakfast for you. Freshen up and join me.” She said and exited the room.

The headache seemed to be fading now. I entered the kitchen only to find Naira struggling with the eggs. The whole house was silent. Just the sound of her breaking the eggs filled the room.

“Where are uncle, aunty and naksh ?!! Do they know I was here the whole night ?!!.” I asked leaning on the counter beside her.
“Mumma and papa have gone to a wedding while bhai has gone to Krishna. Its already 12 o’clock. And nobody knows that you were here the whole night except you and me !!” She explained. I nodded as she was getting irritated with the eggs not breaking.

I admired her. The way she bit her lip when she was concentrating on the eggs. The way she struggled to move her hair out of her face. She was having a real hard time cooking due to those few strands of hair.

“Wait.let me do that.” I said and tucked those few strands behind her ear. She smiled and continued with her cooking. Something about her was odd that day. She looked different. I gently tilted her face so that she was facing me.

“What ?!!” She asked. That’s when I noticed the bruise on her cheek. It was clearly visible and it looked really bad.

“What happened to your face ?!! It looks pretty bad.” I asked examining the bruise. She flinched at my touch and quickly pulled back.

“Yeah I had a fall in the bathroom this morning. It was pretty bad and embarrassing.” She chuckled to herself. She couldn’t even lie properly for God’s sake. I knew it wasn’t an accident.

“Really ?!! Can’t you lie better Naira ?!!” I asked. She avoided me completely like I wasn’t present there at first place and headed to the refrigerator.

“I m not lying. Really I slipped over some shampoo.” She mumbled. To me this girl was unbelievable. I could clearly make out and I certainly was not that dumb to believe that a fall in the bathroom can lead to such a serious bruise.

“Who did this ?!!” I asked straightaway.

“What ?!!” She froze in her spot, while I tried to think of all people who could harm Naira like that. Only one person crossed my mind, Rithvik. I vaguely remembered them fighting about something the night before.