Chapter 45:Pink Romper

Melody woke up to see the rain, she loved the sound that the water made when it hit her window. Melody loved the warm hot coco that her mom made when it rained. Since today was a rainy day, Melody would stay inside and watch movies with her mom. Trixie hadn't been herself really and Melody had noticed it. Melody hung her feet out of her bed, trying to touch the ground. She would usually have little stairs to help her get in and out of bed, but after deciding that she was a big girl she begged Trixie to move them. Melody took a deep breathe and let go of her bed, landing safely on her feet. After grabbing her dinosaur off of the floor and dusting him off, Melody made her way to her closet. Trixie had taken Melody spring shopping so Melody's closet was filled with a bunch of new clothes. Dresses, rompers, jeans, shorts, everything! Melody really loved the rompers. She got five of them. "Which one should I wear Mr. Rex? Green, yellow, blue, red, or pink?" Melody looked at her Triceratops and smiled. Everyone found it strange that the Triceratops' name was Rex but no one said anything.

"Hmm, I think you should wear your mommy's favorite color so she can be happy again." Melody changed her voice for her stuffed toy and giggled.

"Oh Mr. Rex, you are so smart!" Melody set her dino down and stood on her tip toes, grabbing her pink romper. She slipped off her pj's and stepped into her romper. "Okay, Mr. Rex, let's go wake up mommy." Melody opened her door and skipped down the hall to Trixie's room. Melody put her ear to the door and listened for her mother's soft snores. She slowly opened the door, looking inside. All Melody could see was the blonde river that was Trixie's hair. "Mommy? Mommy, are you awake?"

"Yes, are you okay baby?"

"Uh huh, is mommy okay?" Trixie sat up and rubbed her neck, looking over at Melody with a smile.

"Awe baby, come here." Melody walked to Trixie and held up her arms. "You look so pretty."

"I wore it because pink is mommy's favorite color."

"Well, that is so sweet of you honey."

"You didn't answer my question mommy."

"What question?"

"I ask if you were okay?" Trixie took a deep breathe and sat Melody between her legs. She let Melody's hair down and began to brush it. "Mommy?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you?"

"Yes baby, I'm okay."

"Are you and Miss Katya friends again, or is she still mad at you?"

"We are okay now baby."

"That is good mommy! We all need a best friend and she is your best friend."

"She sure is." Trixie choked on her words as she forced a smile. She was starting to think that a friendship with Katya wasn't good enough anymore. Trixie couldn't say that to Melody though. Melody tapped her fingers on Trixie's thigh as she hummed.

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"What's a lesbian?"

"Wait, what?" Trixie accidentally pulled the brush a little too hard, tugging Melody's hair.

"Ouch mommy!" Trixie rubbed Melody's head and kissed it.

"Sorry baby, mommy is so sorry. But Mel, why'd you ask that?"

"I heard some of the older boys talking about Miss Katya at lunch. They said that she is a lesbian. Does that mean she is nice or something?"

"Not exactly baby, no."

"Then what does it mean?"

"You know how I was married to your father? And how he is a boy?"

"Uh huh."

"Well, when a woman is a lesbian then she would prefer marrying a woman."

"Oh, is that bad?"

"No baby, it's not. Not at all, don't let anyone tell you that it is bad."

"Is Miss Katya a lesbian then?"

"It isn't that easy to answer, she's complicated." Trixie chuckled as she began to braid Melody's hair.

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"Would you marry Miss Katya?"

"Wel- um. I don't know baby."

"Mommy, I would marry someone as nice as Miss Katya. She's super cool too. Oh! Mommy if you marry her, maybe you will be cool too!"

"Hey! Am I not cool already?"

"Well.."

"Oh, you're gonna get it." Trixie started to tickle Melody as she tried to run.

Melody played downstairs while Trixie worked on lesson plans upstairs in the spare room that she had turned into an office. Melody couldn't stop thinking about the talk she had with her mom. She was unsatisfied and unhappy with it really. She understood that a woman could love another woman, that wasn't the problem. The actual problem was that Trixie was unsure if she wanted to marry Katya. What was wrong with Katya? Nothing, that is what Melody thought. Nothing at all. Katya was fun and always made Melody treats. Plus she was Andrei's mom so that made her even better. Maybe, just maybe Katya didn't want to marry Trixie. Maybe that is why? Melody laid back on the floor in the pile of pillow and held up Mr. Rex. "I think I know what's wrong Mr. Rex."

"And what's that Melly?"

"Miss Katya doesn't like my mommy. That is why my mommy has been so sad. She wants to marry Miss Katya but she can't. I have to fix this!" Melody jumped up and ran upstairs to Trixie. "Mommy, can you call Miss Katya so she can bring Andrei over?"

"Sure baby."

"Thank you mommy."

"No problem." Melody giggled and ran to her room. She pulled out her markets, crayons, glitter, and art paper. She was going to make Miss Katya love Trixie, one way or another.