𝑻𝑾𝑶

CHAPTER TWO ━━━ STRAP AND CASH

      DELILAH KNEW THAT JOHN WAS A GREAT LEADER. He was headstrong, independent, a good mediator, and cared about his friends. She admired so much about him and would follow him off the edge of a cliff if he told her to.

    Witnessing his sense of adventure gave her a happy feeling in her chest, knowing that his curiosity would always progress her life in some way.

   ❝Dude, it's too deep.❞ JJ laughed.

   ❝Oh, for the weak and feeble, JJ.❞ John reasoned, heaving the anchor out of the hold, the metal clanking against the boat.

   JJ shook his head at the brunet. ❝Well, I'm not resuscitating you. I'm just making that clear up front.❞

   ❝JJ, how could you be so heartless?❞ Delilah jokingly gasped, pressing a hand to her wet chest as if in shock. ❝Don't you worry, JB, I'll sacrifice some of my precious air for you.❞

   John grinned brightly at the tattooed girl, sending her a grateful wink. He gathered the anchor into his wet hands, wrapping his fingers tightly around it.

   ❝Diver down, fool.❞ Pope saluted.

   ❝Diver down.❞ John repeated the gesture, taking on a mockingly serious tone.

   ❝If you're not back up in four minutes, I'm jumping right in after you.❞ Delilah warned, poking him in the chest.

   He nodded minutely before JJ shoved him in the chest, falling backwards into the cerulean depths. The water shifted around his body, dragging him down into the underwater home that he knew so well. The four friends rushed to the edge, watching with bated breath to see when their friend would surface.

   Delilah counted the seconds in her head anxiously, knowing that when she hit two-hundred-and-forty, it would be time to submerge herself once again to rescue her friend. Her eyes stayed focused on the still waves, time ticking along without a care in the world. Tension started to make itself known in her bones as she hit two-hundred, body straightening like a rope was pulling her spine upright.

   Two-thirty-three.

   Two-thirty-four.

   Two-thirty-five.

   She pushed herself up, planting her feet on the edge and rearing her body up into a diving position so she could hit the water without feeling disoriented. Her body moved slowly, just about to fall in after John, before his head broke the surface and he was staring up at them with a grin. Pope and JJ reached out, stopping Delilah from stumbling overboard.