Chapter Two - Lucas

"Our friends interpret the world and ourselves to us, if we take them tenderly and truly." 

Her eyes are widening. As if she is going to be attacked. She walks fast in their direction, Lucas can feel the rage in her footsteps, and he doesn’t know what’s going to happen next. She passed Kieffer, but Kieffer grabs her arm. ‘What’s wrong?’ He asks, ‘Wala. Leave me alone.’ ‘Where are you going?’ ‘I forgot something. Let go of me.’ Kieffer lets go of her and she walks toward Lucas, she’s not looking straight at him, Am I invisible or what? She bumps into his arm. ‘I’m sorry.’ She apologized. ‘Lucas. Let’s go.’ Lucas turns and followed Kieffer.

Lucas can see Kieffer’s fists shaking. ‘May problem ba?’ ‘I can’t take it anymore. I want her back.’ The school is so quiet and cold. Kieffer stood on the dewy grass and fell on his knees. ‘Kieff, I don’t know why you’re like this. Ang tagal na nating mag-kaibigan, but you’re not telling me that much about you. Introducing yourself earlier was silly you know? I know you’re rich and all, but you don’t need to pretend like you’re not my best friend. Nahihiya ka ba na best friend mo ako?’ ‘No. That’s not it.’ ‘tell me.’

They walked in a small retro diner with a small juke box on the corner. Does that thing work? They sat on the last table near the jukebox. Lucas called the waitress. ‘Would you like some coffee sir?’ the waitress asks, ‘Yeah sure.’ Lucas replied. ‘Luke, I’m sorry kung ganito ako. Siguro kasi, I became popular and all.’ ‘I heard you’re in a popular band.’ ‘Yes. Yes I am.’  ‘Who’s the girl you were talking to earlier?’ Lucas ask. The waitress came back with two cups of hot coffee and she places two containers that were labeled as “Creamer and Sugar”. I prefer slenda, but I don’t think they have one in a diner like this. Lucas can smell waffles and bacons all over the place; it’s like heaven in there. He’s getting really hungry. ‘Miss, pa-order nga ng hungarian sausage, bacon and scrambled egg with fries please. What about you Kieff?’  Kieffer is quite tall, but Luke is a bit taller than he is, you won’t notice that Luke is taller than him when they’re sitting, Luke’s torso is kinda short. Kieffer has tanned skin, spiky hair and brown eyes. Girls chase him because he plays in a band and he’s really nice. ‘Hmm.. Parehas nalang tayo, I’m getting hungry na din.’ Kieffer said. The waitress went back to the counter and handed the piece of paper to the chef through the small window of the kitchen. ‘You know what? I think you should apologize.’ Luke advised, ‘It’s not easy.’ ‘I know it’s hard to say I’m sorry, but you have to.’ ‘Pare you don’t know her, you don’t know what happened to us.’ ‘Malay mo, if you say sorry to her, everything will be okay na.’ ‘I don’t know pre. Alam mo yung feeling na, every time I see her, needles start to poke my heart. It hurts so much eh.’ Luke can see the sadness in Kieffer’s eyes. His eyes are getting watery. ‘Please. Not here dude. It’ll be awkward and ugly at the same time. They’ll think na we’re gays. I don’t want that to happen, YOU don’t want that to happen. Am I right?’ ‘I’m sorry pre, its hard talaga eh, it’s like she’s trying to toss some salt on my fresh wounds. Damn it. I know I was wrong. But still.’ ‘I know shit happens, but you have to learn from it.’ I’ve been there, so it’s good that he’s talking to me about this right now. I’m trying to squeeze the juice out of him. I tried to ask him my question again and again. But he’s still giving the same answers too. Damn. The waitress served their meal before they finished their coffee, she saw their almost empty cups and she walks in the counter and gets the coffee. ‘So, wala ka talagang balak na ishare yang ma-drama mong love story? Too bad, I’ve been there, I can help you pa naman, but you really don’t want to share it.’ Lucas pouted. He poked the fluffy egg and bit the juicy bacon. ‘You know what? It’s her fault. Not mine.’ ‘How will I know if it’s her fault if you don’t want to share your oh-so-dramatic kwento?’ Lucas demands. He was so hungry. He’s like having an eating contest with Bolt Usain, Sonic and The Flash. Lucas didn’t notice that his plate is already empty. ‘Kahit kelan ka talaga, palagi ka nalang gutom. Parang may humahabol sayo, di ko alam kung gutom ka ba or matakaw lang talaga. Hayy..’ ‘Oo, ang bagal mo kumain, there’s an event later right? I need to go home now Kieff.’ ‘Hatid na kita. I’ll drive.’ Kieffer threw a 500 peso bill on the table. Lucas walked out of the diner. ‘Tara na.’ Kieffer said, ‘Did you get your change?’ ‘Yup. Let’s go.’