Chapter 2

The sun's not yet rising but I am already prepared to go to the office today since it is my first day. I need to drop by first in the coffee shop to grab my usual cup of coffee. I went straight to my mom's bedroom. The door is slighlty ajar this it was very easy to take a peek of what was inside her bedroom.

My mom was sitting at the edge of the bed while combing her hair. Summer is hugging her life size hello kitty stuffed toy and still asleep. I lightly knock on the door. My mom motioned me to go inside the room.

"Hey mom!" I kissed her cheek and sat beside her. Mom faced me.

"Why so early nak?" then she caressed my cheek.

"The company called me last Saturday. I was accepted as a secretary." I see her nod.

"You should take your breakfast then.I'll cook for you." She was about to stand up when I stopped her.

"No need mom. I'll be dropping by in a coffee shop today." She gave me a confused look.

"Why? Are you avoiding her again?" Her voice was calm.

"No mom. It's just that, I'm craving for the specific taste of coffee today." I see that she is bit hesitant to believe me. She reached for my hands and squeezed it. She looked at me intently.

"Nak, I just wanted you to know that I love you so much. I know that mama had been so hard on you for the past four years. You keep on saying that we do not know what you are feeling, but as a mother, everytime I see you broke down because of what happened years ago, tears my heart thousand times more you can ever imagine. It pained me that as a mother, I cannot do anything to take.away the pain that you are feeling. I hate the man who did that you, but nak, Summer is not a remimder of him. Think of her as a reminder of a new beginning, a new reason to live."

She caressed my face again using her right hand.

"Summer... She loves you so much." Then mom looked with tears on her eyes at the child sleeping on the bed.

"At early age, she's so brilliant to understand what I and her aunt Mona was saying. Our family love and cherish her so much because she reminds us so much of you when you are carefree and when you are willing to prioritize your family before anything else."

She wiped the tears that are pouring in her eyes. She looked at me again. My heart is clenching because I cannot bear to see my mom crying. This is the last thing that I wanted to see, but seeing my mom broke down because of me what shatters my heart the most.

"She's your family too Ivana. When I'm gone, when Mona have her family of her own, Summer will be the one who will be there for you no matter what happen."

I cannot hold back my tears anymore. I hugged my mom and cried on her shoulders.

"I'm so sorry mom. I'm so sorry. Di ko pa kaya. Naaalala ko lahat ng nangyari sa akin nung gabing iyon kapag nakikita ko siya. Di ko pa kaya. Hindi pa ma."

Mom rubbed my back and I can feel that she is crying too.

"shhhhh. Tahan na anak..." She continuously rubbed my back until I calmed down. I pulled away from the embrace and wiped my tear. She looked at me with sadness evident in her eyes.

"I just hope nak, that when the time.comes, hindi pa huli ang lahat."

We were quiet for a couple of minutes until I decided to went out of her room. I bid my mom goodbye. I drove in the nearest Starbucks at Rockwell Corporation. I checked my mails and decided to write down the schedules on my planner. After thr barista served me my coffee, I hurriedly went to the building. I'm reasy for my first day.

The blonde lady approached me again when I reached the top floor of the building.

"Hello Ms. Alawi!" she smiles at me.

"Good morning mam!" I greeted her cheerfully.

"Call me Ms. Santos, I am the previous secretary of Mr. Lunio, now I'm leaving you my office as well as Mr. Lunio. Please take good care of this company."

She smiled at me and hugged me.  I pulled away from her embrace.

"I will Ms. Santos, thank you!" After that, Ms. Santos lead me to my table. The place looks cozy, I have a computer witg the intercom beside it which I suppose connected to the CEO's office. I'm busy admiring my place when Ms. Santos called my attention.

"I emailed to you all the things that you will do for the whole week. I left my calling card there on the book, message me if you have questions."

I really appreciate Ms. Santos's help. I nod at her and smiled. She gave me.few reminders before she left the office.

I am encoding some files that Ms. Santos left me when the elevator opened. There, I see Mr. Lunio on his business suit. I smiled upon seeing him.

"Good morning sir!" He nodded at me.

"Good morning Ivana! Kindly give me my schedule for today." He smiled again before hoing to his office.

I immediately printed his schedule and went to his office. He is now sitting on his chair while fixing some files.  I handed him his schedule. I watched as he furrow his eyebrows while reading the schedule. He is handsome. Well, handsome is an understatement. I love that he don't have stubbles on his face. His skin is so smooth that girls of my age will definitely envy it. I noticed how his adams apple and lips moves as he read the schedule with low voice. I don't know how.many minutes it took me admiring his face. He coughed fakely to get my attention. I looked at him and he flashed a cocky smile.

"Cancel my 3PM appointment." Then I saw him clip the schedule on his planner. Gosh! It's so embarassing. My boss caught me eye-raping him.

"I will sir! Do you have any concerns sir?" I looked at him, wishing the the embarassment cannot be mirrored on my face.

"None." I smiled to him again.

I turned my back at him. Before I was able to open the door he called me.

"Ivana?"

I faced him again.

"Yes sir? Can I ask you for a coffee after work?"

I was stunned with his questions. I pinch myself thinking that I am daydreaming but then I felt the pinch on my hand. I looked at him again. His eyes are intently looking at me. It's just a coffee right? There is no harm I guess?

"ahmmm.." I'm still finding the words to say.

"It's okay if you don't want Ivana. I know I shocked you." He scratched his head. Seems my boss is shy with what he did.

"It's okay boss. I'm in." I smiled at him and I saw how he genuinely smiled back at me.

"Thank you Ivana."