Chapter 3

It is past 12 noon and I haven't eaten my lunch yet since I'm still reviewing the documents that Ms. Santos gave me. My boss does not went out his office since he asked me to have a coffee with him. I could say that I am thankful for that because I don't know how to act in front of him, I'm still bit embarassed that he caught me eye raping him. I was busy typing on my PC when my phone rang. I glanced who the caller is and it is Mona.

"Hi Mona!!" I greeted her cheerfully but I hear sobbing on the other line.

"Ate..." My heart wanted to jolt out my body. I'm nervous on what she will say. Is she alright? Is my mom alright? How about Kuya Hash and my niece?

"Mona... Why are you crying?" I heard murmurs on the other line. Seems like it is my mom.

"Ate... Summer is in the hospital." I was frozen in my position. I know that I don't care about her, buy why does it hurt? Hearing that my daughter is in the hospital? Maybe mom knocked some senses on me when she talked to me this morning. I'm finding my words, but it seems like all the words in this world vanished. I feel that my hand is shaking.

"Ate... the doctor said, they cannot do anything right now. Her body is not responding. She's in the ICU." Mona cried bit harder.

My tears started to rolled down my cheeks. It hurts. I know I may be sounding so hypocrite right now, but hearing that my daughter is in a lifeless state right now shatters my heart thousand times. My hands are still shaking. I was not able to respond in my boss in the intercom. I feel like a complete mess. Mona said what hospital they are currently in. She said I should go there immediately. I was lost in the world
I can only hear my fast beating heart, Summer's voice when she calls me Mama, her sobs when I ignores and scolds her and her laughter when she's with my family. I can only see the image of my daughter.

I was taken back to my senses when I felt a warm hand caressed my cheek. I looked up and see Mr. Lunio. He wiped my tears away. Confusion is written all over his face.

"What's the matter Ivana?" I bow my head and cried again.

I hate that I have to broke down in front of my boss, thinking we only met few days ago but why does it seem so right?

Rhem hugged me that made me cry harder. He rubbed my back as I cry. Minutes of crying calmed me down a bit. Rhem ushered me towards his office at let me sit on the couch. I am too stunned to answer anything. I'm staring at the vastness of the city through the glass wall of his office. Rhem gave me a glass of water and I nodded to him in response. We were.just sittinh on the leather couch, he was sitting across me. No one bothered to talk. What's going on on my mind right now is to go to my daughtet immediately. I stand up fast. Rhem was stunned with my sudden action thus he caught my arm. I looked at him and heaved a deep sigh.

"Sir, we have an emergency at home. Can I go? You can fire me it that's the right punishment. But please, let me.go this time?" My voice is cracking.

He caressed face again.

"I will not let you go, Ivana. I will go with you. I'll drive you home."

I don't bother to protest. I nod at him and quickly gather all my stuffs. He insisted to use his car and I did not argue with him. I told him the address of the hospital. He seemed surprise that we are heading at the hospital but he did not make any comment.

Every minutes that passed seems like a day. It was the longest travel I had.My knees and hands are shaking when we arrived the hospital's parking lot. I felt Rhem's hand on mine. He looked at me and genuinely smiled. A smile that did not reach his ears.

"Everything will be fine." I smiled at him weakly. He pulled away his hands. I immediately opened the door of his car and rushed towards the hospital's entrance. I felt that he was following me.

I went to the information desk and asked the whereabouts of Summer. They immediately motioned me in the ICU. I walked quickly as I could, not minding Rhem following me. I saw mom and Mona sitting at the waiting area near the ICU.

"Ma.." My voice is to weak, but Mona glanced at me... Us. She ran towards me and cried.

"Ate....." I saw my mom get up from her seat and she also acknowledged Rhem's presence.

I pulled away from Mona's embrace and asked them what happened.

"We are playing at the park, Summer.was so drowned looking at the butterflies. We did not notice that there is an uncovered manhole. She fell..." Mona cried as she continues her story.

"We are so bothered that she became out of sight. After an hour, a man shouted and said that there is a girl in a 6ft manhole. Mom and I rushed towards there and we saw.... We saw Summer...." she tried to suppress her sobs.

"She was covered with blood ate. I'm so sorry ate. We did not take good care of your daughter."

I stiffened with the mere mention of the word daughter. No one knew outside the family that I have a daughter already. Now, my boss knew about my secret.

I nearly lose my balance. I felt Rhem's hand enveloped my waist trying to support me. Rhem motioned me to sit on a chair. Mom and Mona went to find the doctor, leaving I and Rhem alone.

Rhem broke the silence.

"I'm sorry for what happened Ivana."

I did not speak.

"Thank you Rhem for accompanying me." I weakly smiled and looked at him. He nodded at me in response.

"So.... she's your daughter?" I cannot fathom what emotion is in his voice. I nod at him.

"Sorry, I know it's not  the right time for that." He bowed his head.

"Yeah, she's my daughter." I stared at the blank white wall across my seat. I don't know why I feel comfortable saying those words to him. I avoided claiming Summer as my own since that traumatic night happened. But, why do I feel something strange in this man?

"His father must have been so worried because of what happened." By the mention of the word father, I think the bubble of anger just pop out.

"Don't speak of his father." My words were like acid. I've never had the chance in four years to mention the man who ruined everything.

"I'm sorry again." I can feel the sincerity in his voice.

"I'm so sorry too Rhem. It's just that, that topic was taboo."

"I understand." Then silence fell upon us again. It broke down when Rhem's phone rang. I saw how he rejected the call button. I heard him sigh.

"Rhem, I appreciate that you are here.with me today. But, don't you think your family is looking for you? It's late."

He looked at me again. Hesitation can be seen on his face.

"It's just that... I don't want to leave you yet."

I was stunned with his reason.

"I'm okay boss. I will certainly go to office tomorrow." I smiled. Maybe he thought that I will file a leave, maybe that worries him.

"I will allow you to have a week leave Ivana. Your daughter..." then he glanced at the door of the ICU.

"She needs you most this time." I saw how his expression changed. Longing was in his eyes.

I nodded at him.

"Thank you Rhem." Then I hugged him. I felt him stiffened because of my action. Seconds later, he relaxed.
I pulled away from the embrace.

"You being here means so much to me Rhem." I smiled at him, it was genuine this time.

He smiled back at me and bid his good bye.