Crushed

Nothing makes me feel deadlier then knee high boots and red lipstick. 

Of course, I’m not going to fight monsters with Finn but rather something equally as dangerous: hitting the mall with Cammie. (dangerous to my bank account that is) 

I’m about to leave when I remember to go say bye to my father who’s been penned up int his office all day doing work.

“Hey dad, I’m going to go meet Cammie at the mall,” I say knocking once on the door. My father is bent over a large pile of papers, wire rim glasses almost slipping off his nose. He barely looks up when I walk in. 

Walking over I glance at what he’s working on. There’s pile after pile of papers with long lines of numbers. On the top of each paper is some strange symbol I don’t recognize, probably some company my dad is working with. 

Yup, my dad’s job is super boring but at least it pays for all these new clothes I’m about to buy. 

“Yo pops, I’m leaving.” 

“Oh hey Mack, I didn’t hear you come in,” my dad says, quickly shuffling up his papers and piling them under his desk, “What’s going on?”

 “Me. Cammie. Mall. Clothes.” 

“Sound’s about right. Be careful out there with all this commotion going on.”

“Guess there are superheroes after all,” I say, treading carefully. 

My father’s face darkens, “Super maybe, but it takes more then a shiny costume and a mask to make a hero.” 

I really should leave, the longer I talk about the Hero the more I risk blowing our cover. But my father is just so stubborn (like father like daughter?) that part of me just wants him to admit there is a real superhero in Vertigo. “So you don’t like the guy?”

“I don’t trust him,” my father clarifies, “I don’t trust anyone with that kind of power. I saw the news. I saw what that boy can do. No one man should be able to bring a city to it’s knees.” 

For a second I almost find myself agreeing with my father. I know better then anyone what Finn’s capable of. If someone used those powers for evil rather then good it’d be catastrophic. Maybe no one should possess that much power...

No. Finn’s a good guy. He helps people. He saves people. He’s a superhero and he has me to keep him in check. Not like you could do much if he ever went rogue, a nagging voice says in the back of my head, but I quickly shake it away. 

“Doesn’t it fascinate you?” I ask my father, “I mean the fact superpowers exist. It’s a game changer.” 

My father is not the type to be wrapped up with tall tales or the supernatural. He is cut and dry, all facts, no nonsense. A superhuman is flying around, it’s almost as if we found out unicorns exist. It must stir him up at least a little bit. 

“Yes and no,” my father answers, “The city is treating this anomaly like some sort of chosen hero. Let me tell you Mack, there’s no room for magic in this world. We live in the black and white. If you dig deep enough you’ll find an explanation for anything.” 

“So you think there’s a rational explanation for why there’s some kid in a mask lifting cars above his head?” 

“There always is.” 

...

“Does this dress make me look like a twelve year old boy?” 

“Nah, you look hot.” 

“Mack, you didn’t even look.”

I shake my head away from my daydreams of my father and I’s conversation earlier today to see Cammie wearing a gold dress and tapping her foot impatiently. 

“It makes me look flat chested,” Cammie pouts, gathering her (non-existent) boobs with her arms and trying to impossibly adjust them so she has some cleavage. 

“That’s because you are flat chested.”

Cammie frowns at me, “You are such a bummer to shop with. At least I know you’re honest.” 

“As your best friend it’s my duty to make sure you look good,” I say, slipping on a short black dress and posing in front of the mirror. “How do I look?”

Cammie looks me over and her frown deepens. “That’s so not fair. You look like a Greek goddess and I’m over here trying to decide the best way to stuff my bra.” 

“Oh hush,” I tell her, handing her a pretty blue dress that compliments her figure way better. Cammie tries it on and then twirls so that her long blonde fans out around her. 

“Perfect,” she grins, “Do you think you’ll win homecoming queen?”

Ah yes, the much coveted homecoming queen title. The dance is coming up soon and that’s all Cammie can seem to talk about. She even made me go dress shopping with her super early, hence why we’re currently crammed in a dressing room. 

“Pfft,” I scoff, “Oh yah. Right after sign my recording deal and find a cure for the common cold.” 

“Don’t play humble with me Mackenzie Reyes,” she scolds, “You know you’re hot. The way I see it’s between you and Abbey and if she wins I’ll have to cut off my ears to keep from hearing her brag about it for the rest of high school.” 

Ugh. I don’t really care about the whole “homecoming queen” thing but the thought of Abbey winning makes my blood boil. Just because I don’t want it doesn’t mean she can have it. 

“We can totally start campaigning for votes,” Cammie squeals, “Although you may have to be a bit nicer. I think half the student body is scared of you.” 

“Pass,” I yawn, “Do you know who you want to go with yet?” 

Cammie’s eyes light up like it’s Christmas morning, “I want to go with the hottest boy in town: the Hero.” 

I have to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. “The Hero? Really? You don’t know anything about the guy.” 

“I know he’s a superhero that’s super attractive. What more do I need? Look at the guy Mack,” she quickly rushes over to her purse and pulls out her phone. 

A half blurry picture of the Hero is currently her background. He looks like something out of a comic book: His hands are on his hips in a typical heroic pose. He’s flashing a perfect grin. His dark hair is swooped to the side and his blue eyes are shining from behind his mask. He looks heroic, perfect even, like an All-American boy. A superhero

But all I see is Finn. 

“Total babe,” Cammie says with a sly smile. I can’t help but giggle when I think about how angry Cammie would be if she ever found out Finn, the guy she can barely stand, is actually her superhero crush. 

“Maybe you should have a backup plan,” I tell her, “Just in case this Hero guy is busy saving the city or something.”

“I guess Fletcher,” she groans, “But we went together last year and he accidentally caught himself on fire... twice.” 

“Well this year they banned candles from the dance,” I try, “What about Finn?”

“Ha!” she snorts, “Oh yeah like I’d ever go with the dweeb. It’s alright, Fletcher is an idiot but he’s a good dancer. Who are you going with?”

“Mike,” I say, “He asked me last week.” 

“Just as friends, right?” 

“Well, duh.” 

Cammie sighs as she wiggles out of the dress, “Well that’s good. I wouldn’t want to become the third wheel in our little trio. Then I’d be stuck hanging with Finn and Abbey. Yuck.” 

“Don’t worry, Mike and I would never date,” I say, but I can’t help but notice the slightest hesitation in my voice. Well that’s strange. Shaking the thought away I grab my dress in one hand and Cammie with the other.

         “Now it’s time for something actually important: shoes.”