Chapter 29. Championship

Not proofread/edited. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time for the 200m butterfly

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time for the 200m butterfly. Can all the swimmers make themselves ready for their heat?"

Jisung walked out from the sauna followed by Felix and Chan. Chan was actually a pretty cool guy, the three of them had found the tone pretty easily and they had agreed to go for a coffee or something like that afterwards, despite how the results may come out. They weren't that petty.

Jisung stopped a little away from the start blocks, his heat wasn't util the fourth or so, so he didn't have to get ready at once. He started to stretch a little, warming up his limbs. Stretching his arms up above his head and slowly letting his upper body fall from side to side. Then he laid down on the tiles and started to stretch his back, lifting one knee at the time up towards his chin.

 This was a habit he had started developing four years ago when he was first diagnosed with prolapse in the tailbone (or something like that, Jisung hadn't exactly paid attention when the doctor explained it to him, all that he knew was that it was 'too small' to operate away, and that it hurt like a bitch whenever he did explosive movements. Which sucked since his swimming stroke was the most explosive one and probably the worst one for his back) But he had trained with a physical therapist for a very long time, and for a whole year he was denied to swim butterfly.

He was allowed to swim crawl or backstroke, as long as he did it slowly. Otherwise it really went in physical training for his core muscles. In the start it went insanely slow, it felt as if he never had any progress and most of the days for the next year he would come home after a long day with training and just start crying from the pain in his back, often he couldn't even walk and he was just really demotivated.

But he forced himself to stay strong and keep going on, so he pushed himself and trained even harder. After it had gone about a year it looked lighter, that he finally maybe could swim butterfly again. A choice he had regretted on for a long time afterwards, the first lap had been absolutely amazing, to move his body again in the way he loved. But after the practice was done and he walked home with Felix his body went straight back to square one. Back to the point where he almost couldn't stand up without bursting into tears because of the pain. 

Felix, Hyunjin and Minho had helped him a lot through that time, encouraging him to keep going strong, not give up no matter how much it sucked. So he went back to the physical therapist and he started from the bottom again. Slowly but surely making his way back up. This time the progress was a bit faster and after a half year it felt pretty good. 

But he knew better than to be to optimistic. His physical therapist, Jae had made a program for him to start with at swim practice, and they both agreed that in the start he was only allowed to swim a max of to laps butterfly, and eight laps breaststrokes. He managed to do so, not with ease, but he made it work. Although he had participated in all of the competitions the last three years, he just didn't do the long distances, he wold participate in the 50m. And now just last year he was back in full shape.