thirty three

"Hey Val, it's me—Luke, obviously.

God this awkward, um, so I didn't actually think you were going to respond to my message in the first place—like I really didn't think that was going to happen—and then it did.

You replied.

And I mean I've been watching your videos for like a year now, so I guess I kind of had a small crush on you.

I don't know.

I didn't even know you as a person, and you didn't know me.

Like I knew you were a fan of the band because I'd seen your videos, obviously, and some of the captions you'd put on your Instagram pictures.

Which was cool actually, I just didn't—yeah I just didn't think that there was any possibility of us ever chatting, you know.

Like I could have followed you on Instagram, and made an official TikTok account, but I guess I liked the fact that no one knew, it was my secret—my thing.

And I didn't want to spark any sort of rumours by doing that as well, because that wouldn't have been fair on you, some of my fans can get quite territorial.

So yeah, that's kind of why I never reached out to you as me, as Luke Hemmings—one fourth of 5 Seconds of Summer.

Which is why I created the bogus profile, which I guess looking back now I could have used a better fake name.

And then one day I just decided to DM you, never thinking you were actually going to reply, but then you did—and I freaked out.

Like actually freaked out, I mean Calum even came over and talked me through everything—it was completely ridiculous.

And then we started chatting and I guess there was never really a good time to tell you that it was me.

That you were actually talking to Luke Hemmings.

But then you sort of started to catch on and I panicked again.

By the way I'm sorry for leaving you on read so many times, Calum tells me that I should stop doing that, which I'll work on.

But yeah, I hope you're not mad or feeling betrayed or anything.

I really didn't mean for it to get this far, and I really really hope we can still keep talking because I like that. It's one of the highlights of my day.

Again, really sorry about all this and I completely understand if you want to stop all commutations.

The ball's in your court, I guess.

Later Val."