Photograph

-          Photograph

     Hours after Jordan left her office, Juvia stepped out into the fading light. The sun was beginning to set as she walked down the street, heading towards the local theater. Cloudless and vast, the sky erupted in shades of the summer. The air was cool and breezy, perfect for a late afternoon stroll. It was rush hour in Magnolia City, basically it always was. People never seemed to decrease in the streets, there were always, always people. Waves and waves of human beings filled the streets, varieties of every aspect. There were the business-people in sleek suits and polished demeanor, always texting or calling on their hand-held phones, the preppy and some lousy students, backpacks hanging from their sides, acne bursting in their eager faces. She also saw singularities. There was one with red streaks in her hair and piercings all over her ears, another with star-shaped glasses, flower power jumpsuit and a big afro, singing with a ukulele.

     Juvia passed by designer shops, and boutiques. She looked through the glass displays of several of them. Most of the pieces were extravagant and luxurious, Juvia liked the plain ones better. As the immobile models took their poses, she imagined herself wearing whatever the skinny mannequin was. She liked comfort more than style. There was a beige lace dress that she particularly liked, Juvia took a note of the name of the store and walked on.

     Juvia wasn't much of a dresser, she didn't take long hours to pick out her clothes. She didn't mind wearing sneakers occasionally and her clothes weren't made to stand out. She had only several pieces that were considerably extravagant, mostly gifts from friends. She’d always hear women talk about being worth it to suffer just for the sake of looking good. She thought that was a horse shit of an idea.

     Tonight Juvia opted for a beanie, a beige coat, and knee high brown boots.  Her jeans were not too tight but weren't baggy either. She looked down at her shoes while she walked, people filling in her peripheral vision. Mindless noises and heavy traffic filled her ears, bright billboards and neon displays scattered all over her, slightly giving her a headache. Juvia tried to drown the world out with that tiny music player everyone had in their minds.

     After 5 more minutes of walking she finally reached the theater. Movie posters hung behind glass displays and snack booths on both corners, she paced a little. Checking her watch, Juvia was a little too early. People began exiting the cinema, finished popcorn and plastic cups in their hands, chattering about whatever they watched. Juvia stood aside, not wanting to be dragged by the waves of movie-goers. She tried to look out for any violet-highlights, but Jordan was nowhere in sight. There was no way to recognize anyone by the speed and flow of the crowd, it was almost like everyone mixed into one mobile entity.

     After a while, the people began to disperse, although there were still a lot blocking her vision. Juvia stood on her toes and tried to identify anyone. Sighing, she rocked on her heels and waited patiently for a clear view. Juvia looked above and read the marquee signs above her, flashing and blinking in bright red neon. The next movie was in about 20 minutes.

     Looking towards the ticket counter, she saw a tall black figure. Looking more closely, Juvia found herself staring at a man, his back towards hers. He was leaning towards the counter and tapping his left foot, the broadness of his back emphasized by his position. She squinted a little, trying to figure out the sense of familiarity that she felt. His face was not visible although his built was so distinct that Juvia took a little step towards him. His dark clothes were a familiar sight to her. Wes? He was wearing black long-sleeves, pushed to his elbows, a bright red scarf and black jeans. Wait a minute, I know that scarf. Isn’t that-

     Gray turned towards her. Juvia’s heartbeats were slow and loud, thumping in her ears.  He took out his wallet and tucked something among the folds. She wanted to retreat into some dark corner where he couldn’t possibly see her but her feet were stuck to the ground. Juvia tried moving her gaze away, to look at anything else, but her eyes only shifted for a second before they looked back to him. Jesus Christ Violette! She scolded herself violently.