Chapter 27

Previously:

She kissed him and hugged him again. "I'm so happy," she said. "I'm marrying the Strongest Man in the World, just like I dreamed I would."

He chuckled. "I'm so happy, too, Sanem. Let's never let go of each other again."

"Never."

***

Istanbul, October 2016

Sanem looked up at Can, her whole face smiling, as they walked hand-in-hand through the cheering crowd of their loved ones. Can returned her smile and brought her hand to his lips to place a reverent kiss against her knuckles. Her beauty took his breath away. She was always the most beautiful girl in the world to him; but today, she was his bride and she positively glowed.

He leaned down and whispered into her ear as they walked, "I love you." Her smile grew wider.

They reached the table that was set up on a raised platform in the garden. Mihriban and Aziz waited there for them, ready to witness their marriage. The officiant welcomed them, and announced their arrival to the waiting audience. "Welcome, Can and Sanem!  Everyone, please take your seats. I know they are very eager to be man and wife."

Everyone laughed as they sat down. Can and Sanem looked at each other and laughed, too. They took their seats at the head of the table, facing the audience.

"Let's get started without delay!" the officiant said. He gave Sanem a warm smile. "Sanem Aydın, daughter of Nihat and the late Mevkibe, do you agree to marry Can Divit, son of Aziz and Mihriban of your own free will, without pressure from anyone?"

"Yes!" Sanem said immediately, almost before he finished his question. Laughter rose from the crowd at her show of enthusiasm.

"Okay, okay. I believe you, Sanem Hanım," the officiant said with a wink, touched by her obvious joy.

She squeezed Can's hand in excitement. "It's his turn now. Ask him, sir!" she said.

"I will ask him now, Sanem. Don't you worry!" He turned to Can. "Can, you are a very lucky man to have the love of this woman! You are aware of this, right?"

"I'm aware, sir, and I'm so grateful every day," he looked over at Sanem and she was looking at him and crying. He wiped the tears from her cheeks and she kissed his palm.

"Good. In that case, Can Divit, do you also agree to marry Sanem Aydın of your own free will, without pressure from anyone?"

"Yes. A thousand times, yes," Can said, his eyes locked on hers.

"Now that's settled," he said, turning to Can's parents. "Aziz bey, Mihriban hanım, do you serve as witnesses to this union?"

They looked at each other and smiled. "Yes," they said together, "we do."

The officiant passed the red marriage book, the marriage certificate, over to Sanem and Can to sign. Sanem signed and passed it over to Can. As soon as he picked up the pen to sign, she smiled a mischievous smile and stepped on his foot. Can looked up at her in surprise. Everyone laughed as Sanem used the wedding tradition to tell everyone what they already knew--that she had Can wrapped around her little finger.

"We already know you're the boss, anyway, my love," he said, pinching her cheek before sliding the book over to Aziz and Mihriban to sign as witnesses.

"I'm glad you acknowledge it, birtanem," she said sweetly.

Aziz returned the book to the officiant, and he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, we have all witnessed that these two accept each other as man and wife. With the authority given to me, I declare you married! Congratulations!" he said, handing the red book to Sanem.