Inside

Chapter 9

The cool, early morning breeze blew through my hair. I could faintly hear the London traffic in the distance. I sighed and rested my elbows on the cool, metal railing. Jax had woken me up early and taken me to the rooftop of the base. Behind one of those second storey doors was another staircase that led us up here. Jax was standing next to me.

“It’s not the best view,” he said, “but it’ll do.”

He was right. I could only see over a few buildings but after that there were apartment blocks which were too high and I couldn’t see past them. We chatted and pointed out any interesting things we spotted. It was a nice, laid back morning, one I definitely didn’t see coming, particularly after yesterday.

“I’m worried you know?” said Jax. I was worried too. I was worried about the Double A, but maybe we weren’t thinking about the same thing.

“What are you worried about?” I asked.

“You,” replied Jax, “I’m worried they are going to hurt you.”

My insides turned all gooey. It was pleasant knowing someone really cared and worried about me. It’s not going to happen though, there was no way anyone was going to touch me. I wasn’t going to let anyone touch my housemates either. 

“They won’t hurt me,” I told Jax confidently. Jax just shook his head. “What you don’t believe me?”

“No,” said Jax, “you’ve just gotta know that things mightn’t be as easy as they seem Cady.”

I thought Jax was in love with me. Didn’t that mean he had to agree with everything I said?

“Look,” he said, “today Rhett, Maddy, Zander and Tayka are going to the Amendment Administration to find out some more stuff. I told Tayka that you and I were going to stay here, to recover from yesterday.”

“Why?” I protested, “I’m fine, I can go back out there and help. I’m perfectly able.”

“You’re rushing into this Cady, yesterday you were telling me you were still sick.”

“I’m better now.”

“You’re staying here,” insisted Jax.

“I don’t want people risking their lives for me while I sit and do nothing here,” I said angrily.

“It’s not for you Cady, they are risking their lives for the people and for what is right, it’s not all for you.”

I was hurt by that comment. He made me sound selfish. I didn’t get this whole relationship. I had only had two boyfriends before. One was when I was 13 and back then, I was too frigid to even hold his hand, let alone touch him. The second boyfriend was about a year ago and when my parents found out, they ended the whole thing. It lasted about a week. I was beginning to think this relationship was going to last a week also, if Jax kept this up.

 I pushed my hair back, closed my eyes and groaned. I felt Jax’s hand on my neck.

“Did I do that?” he asked.

“Yup,” I replied. I turned away from him and left. I went down the stairs, and then the other stairs after that. I found Tayka in the main room and I rushed up to her.

“You know, I’m fine really, I can come today, and you are probably going to need extra people.”

“It’s okay Cady, we’ve got our people from Inner City and West London coming with us today. You should really stay here and rest up,” replied Tayka. I slumped my shoulders and sighed.