Chapter 1: Vigilance

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be damned to believe my eyes. A crimson blooded demon standing before me, a royalty of hell's upper class resting on this dusty forsaken old house, a god of torment and war, of destruction and chaos, of control and elegance, one of the finest demons, those trusted by the lord himself, those who enslaved us next to that shitty king... is a little girl?!

"Dude... heellllooo?" Kan waved his hands before me, cracking the silence, like how a security guard does to a mannequin at midnight. "What did she say? You know I don't hear that stuff." he scowled, looking at me and her. He was both perplexed and on guard over whatever the being before him was.

"Oh... she asked who we were," I said, bringing my gaze back to her. Still in awe yet in confusion; She was touching the ground; inspecting her body; face, torso, hair, getting that mucus off her. She looked outside the circular shaped attic window, inspecting the shining moon. "Hey Kan... I think we should kill her" I brought out my knife, the metal infused by my blood to harden should finish the job. "That thing is too dangerous to be kept alive," I declared, especially when she looks too familiar to an old traitor.

"Oi what? You ca-" I ran towards her defenseless naked figure, about to penetrate her chest. But one of the loose wooden planks tripped me over, my face burying onto the filthy floor in front of her. Call it fate, but that is the worst time to be clumsy. She ran behind Kan, grabbing onto his shirt, "Dude, stop! You're scaring her," Kan yelled, resting his hand onto her shivering right shoulder, trying to reassure her somehow. If I had a hin for every time Kan was nice to something, I would've been drowning in the currency of this world. He becomes such an idiot when whatever we're doing is too unethical for him. It almost causes me to think he is siding with the enemy on purpose to agitate me.

Getting back up, I yelled at his stupid request, my voice getting rougher, "Stop? That thing will end both of us, for fuck's sake!! Kill it already." For the better or the worse, her crimson eyes showed fear, hiding behind my too sweet to do his job partner. "I will not become a prey because of you," the echo of my voice cluttered my head, I could hear the whispers waltzing around my wary clouding vision, as sources of light become dim around me, I grabbed my head trying to snap back of it, but the commands of my instincts were growing stronger, the urge to do what madness instructs, to kill.

"But look at her, she's just confused!" Kan yelled. my vision grew weary, as the whispers frenzied around me, nothing makes sense anymore.

"I said, KILL, HE-!!" before I knew it, a blow to my guts led the dust around to dance in the air before I fell on the ground, gushing out black blood from the back of my head. "r..." the last thing I saw was those crimson pitiful eyes of hers, as if I am being mocked for this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You... alright?" I turned behind, looking at the poor little lass while waving my hands to disperse of the idiots blood. Her wide apologetic eyes snapped to mine, backing off slowly from the scene. Her tingling body was vibrating too much, and I could even see her heart beating so hard. She looked behind and without prior notice brushed down the attic hatch, "oi wait!!"

She was not fast, let alone capable of running after coming out of her cocoon. She limped, trying not to fall off the floor multiple times before entering Hiko's room. The window atop the bed shone the moon's beauty on the room, books stored on a bookshelf atop a reading table and a chair. I saw her slide under the bed. Her eyes glowing in the dark did not do her any favor, looking like a cat in the middle of the night.

"Come on, I won't hurt you" I crouched, looking under. She wrapped herself around with a bit of that maniac's blanket, which stopped her from shivering for a bit. Maybe she was just cold? I extended my hand halfway, sitting down and waiting for her other half to accept it. If Hiko thinks I will murder some little demon girl because she's some dangerous being, he might as well off himself.