Chapter 2

As Matt and Jon (and Ranger) walked down the street, the small ferret barked at people passing by.  Jon looked over his shoulder at him and frowned.

"How do you think Eduardo is going to react to him?" Jon asked timidly. Matt looked at him, and could tell he was worried. Although Matt didn't know Eduardo very well, Edd grumbled about him enough to know he wasn't the friendliest of people.

"Um... I don't really know." Matt said with all honesty. Jon gave a little sigh, pulling Ranger out of his hood and cradling him. 

"I hope he doesn't get mad..." Jon said softly, stroking the small ferret. Jon stopped, turning to face Matt.

"Do you think you could keep him?" He asked. Matt looked at him, surprised.

"Me?

"N-not forever, just long enough for me to convince Eduardo." Jon's expression seemed pleading, and Matt felt bad for him.

"Okay, I'm sure Edd won't mind!" Matt said in his usually chipper voice.

...

"You brought home a what?" Tom's eyes went wide as Matt walked through the door, carrying the small animal in his arms.

"A ferret!" Matt piped.

"Edd!" Tom called with a sigh, not taking his eyes off Ranger and Matt.

"What?" Edd yelled back.

"Come here!" A few moments later, Edd walked down the stairs. He looked at Tom.

"I'm not going to tell you again, quit calling for me when I'm working on-" Tom stopped Edd and pointed at Matt. Poking out of his arms was Ranger's small, narrow face.

"Matt... what is that?" Edd asked cautiously. 

"He is Ranger." Matt said, holding Ranger up in the air to show Edd and Matt.

"Matt, why the hell-" Edd gave Tom a glare.

"Fine - why the flying pancakes on a Tuesday would you buy a ferret?" Tom grumbled.

"I didn't buy him, Mr. Buchekof gave him to us for free." Matt said.

"Who's 'we'?" Edd had lost any anger or worry, and now was just curious. Matt smiled subconsciously.

"He gave Ranger to me and Jon for free."

Edd and Tom exchanged a look before bursting out laughing.

"Jon as in our neighbor Jon?" Tom laughed. Matt grumbled, glaring at him.

"Yes, and I'll have you know that he's actually very nice!" Matt defended. Tom continued to laugh, but Edd had started to glare at him. 

"Tom, shut up." Edd said, a hint of a smile on his face, as if he was just holding back from laughing. 

"You're just jealous because I finally found someone prettier than me and it's not you!" Matt sneered at Tom. Edd and Tom froze, looking at each other.

"Oh boy..." Tom mumbled. Edd gave Tom a look before turning his attention back to Matt.

"Matt, did you just say that... you found someone prettier than you?" Edd asked softly. Before Matt could answer, someone knocked on the door. Matt, seeing as he was closest to it, turned around and opened the door.

"Hey, Matt, I got the whole thing cleared over with Eduardo, he said that it's fine for me to keep him." Jon said with a smile. Edd walked over, leaning over Matt's shoulder to look at Jon.

"What the hell?!" Jon turned around, face to face with Eduardo.